Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fuck Normality

What does this slogan mean to you?

To me it means that we don't have to be just like everyone else.
That we should feel free to do things that are considered different.
To dress in a way that is different.
We should focus on being who we are, instead of what's expected of us.
We should not put importance on what "they" will think, but zone in on what we really are beneath all the pressure.
The vulgarity of the message reinforces the negative aspect of conforming to what is "normal".


Notice that I speak in "shoulds". I'm at the stage where I realize the impact that my desire to fit into society has on who I've become or who I appear to be. I'm not 100% pure "me" and I never will be, but I know I can make some small steps towards her.

Who are you, and who would you be without the pressure of society?



3 Comentários:

Susanne said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this!

Karen lee Wightman said...

hiya :) just checking in on ya ;)

My two cents worth is.. that we has individuals change constantly and loking for the real "you" is kind of a waste of time.. it is for me anyhow.
MY goal is to please Allah swt..not myself :) ( which btw...ends up pleasiong me even more)

Just a thought

Candice said...

But Karen, you're far from being just like everybody; you're not conforming to what society wants from you. I know you're conforming within Islam, but it took a step of self-searching to get to that so I don't think you're completely against the principle based on that.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO