Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Praying for Forgiveness for non-Muslims

I came across the verse:

It is not for the Prophet and those who have believed to ask forgiveness for the polytheists, even if they were relatives, after it has become clear to them that they are companions of Hellfire. - Qur'an 9:113    

The first thing that I was glad to see is that even "traditional" scholars agreed that when people are alive, there's always a chance that they will change and so they are not counted as these polytheists who are clearly companions of the Hellfire. That's where the loving positive outlook ends with the traditional interpretations.

For anyone, even if they have passed, is there a certainty when "it has become clear that they are companions of the Hellfire"??? I don't feel that way about anyone I know or knew... I'm not comfortable making that judgement that a person is too far gone to have any chance at Paradise. For that reason, I would pray for a person who has passed on to be forgiven even if it's known that they were not Muslim at the time of their death.

Maybe they had belief that would qualify them as Muslim that we are not aware of and they themselves were not aware of. Only God Himself knows.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you stop yourself from praying for your non-Muslim loved ones based on this verse?

2 Comentários:

KittySigurdardottir. said...

I do so love the thoughts of Muslim women like yourselves,you are so sincere.

Stranger said...

There are two issues here, which are not necessarily related. First, that a non muslim is a kaffir and will not enter paradise. This is wrong of course. There is a hadith which relates the story of a prostitute entering paradise because of mercy she had for a thirsty dog. The other is praying for a non muslim, or one who appears to be a non muslim. This is not allowed, and if it were, the Prophets and companions would have done so. In fact, there is an example of Prophet Ibrahim being allowed to pray for his father only because of a promise he made, so Allah allowed him. The Prophet Muhammad, Nuh, and many others had a lot of non muslim relatives and there is no evidence of them praying for them. However, will they be forbidden paradise? Only Allah knows.. And after death, He will decide, just as He did for the prostitute. Personally, I have faith in Allahs mercy, and I dont believe my prayer or my love can match Allahs mercy. It is said that Allah gave mothers one per cent of His mercy and kept 99 for Himself on the day of judgement. Do we really think our sympathy can be matched for His mercy? We have been forbidden to pray for someone who has not been known as a Muslim when they day, and Allah knows the reason. Who are we to question that? As you know, my mom recently passed, but I am at peace knowing Allah is the bes of judges and I personally do not think my duaa will help her more than His mercy. I believe she was a.kind, loving beautiful person, and that Allah will be fair. That is faith,.to me.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO