Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Seeing RED

I seem to attract certain discussions. I'm married to a Muslim so that makes it irresistable for some to take subtle jabs at me... This is happening a lot recently since a guy from work started eating at the same time as me... Not only does he take MY SPOT at the table, but he always starts discussions I don't want to go into, not always directed towards me, but somehow I can feel the direction when he looks towards me more than others even if I'm not talking at all when they are. It also happens with other co-workers and sometimes even certain family members...

I don't think he has bad intentions, but he likes getting reactions out of people I guess...

Today though, I was seeing red BIG TIME. I can't remember how it happened but another co-worker started with some really ignorant remarks that made me just really angry and frustrated. She has done this before but I'm a lot more fragile lately with this other guy being here every lunch hour...

We saw Egypt in the news and honestly, I have not been watching the news at all lately and seriously don't know what's going on beyond Morsi giving himself extra powers... So when my co-worker said,

"Wow, in those countries people sure don't work much. I guess they all work the night shift or something. haha" and goes on to say that we all have problems, it's the same here that we don't like our Prime Minister, should we all be on the streets?

The disgusting tone in her voice when she was referring other countries, the idea that people are protesting out of laziness somehow or ditching other responsabilities to go have fun in the streets, the idea that what they are protesting for is not worth anything and is the same as if people in Canada ditched their jobs for a week or two to protest against Harper...

There was too much ignorance for two sentences, I didn't know what to say! I was like boiling inside wanting to smack some sense into her, at the same time... I didn't know what to say! It didn't help that I had not been keeping up to date with the news and I guess I helped my own frustration by being pretty ignorant myself...

I was red, I was shaking quietly... Then I left.

The guy had made some comments about the brotherhood somewhere in the convo about how they are the worst thing ever for Egypt and ended up apologizing for being insensitive. I appreciate him noticing the state I was in and taking some time to reflect on what he might've said to offend me but I told him, it wasn't his comment that made me this way. I feel seriously weak and still upset even if it's like 3pm now...

I might just be tired. Hard time sleeping since Saturday and I don't deal well with lack of sleep...

3 Comentários:

Gracey at Fashion for Giants said...

Oh, Candice, I'm sorry. People often put their foot in their mouths without meaning too. And, perhaps she thought that because you're French Canadian, not Egyptian, that you wouldn't take offense at her ignorance. She is so very wrong, but people often are.

Susanne said...

I'm sorry. I hope you are OK now.

Candice said...

Gracey: Thanks for your sweet message! I don't think she really realizes that she's ignorant... For her, it's a certain way and that's that, she wouldn't think twice to wonder about the reasons why, the things that lead to that situation, etc. etc. I guess I was most upset because she's the one who works right beside me who I have a lot of contact with and can at times consider a real friend.

Susanne: I'm feeling normal today, thanks! I think I might just try to eat alone lol

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO