Thursday, July 26, 2012

If I hadn't clicked on "Skype me"

Do any of you think of the moment that changed the course of your life in the most dramatic way? Mine is as tiny as the moment I decided to "skype" some random guy in May 2005.

Had I simply not contacted my now-husband at that very moment, there's virtually no way I would have ever met up with him later. Which means (might mean, because God could have found a way to change anything in my life), no going to Egypt and having the amazing life experience I had there, no getting pregnant and having a baby so early in my life, no postponing further education for children and work. I'd likely have continued and completed at least my bachelor's if I hadn't met my husband. I would likely not have any kids by now. I don't know if I'd be Muslim but it was in my heart before I met my husband so I'm thinking yes.

Anyway, it's still a very very different life that I'd have at this point if I hadn't clicked on "Skype me".

I believe though that Candice at 40 or 50 or 60 years old would have been very similar, whatever it is that I did at 18. I do think I have somewhere I have to get and that I'll get there no matter what. :)

4 Comentários:

Amalia said...

Ahh you have such a similar love story to mine and my husbands :) We also met online, we were both 17 at the time, we chatted on yahoo chat rooms. I was learning about Islam at school and asked him some questions.

Isn't it funny to think what life might have been like?!
Hope you're having a good Ramadan xx

Gracey at Fashion for Giants said...

I really admire your way of thinking. Sometimes it's hard for me to remain positive in light of choices I made. I might regret not finishing school, getting married & pregnant so young, but you're thinking of it the absolute right way. You're an inspiration.

Candice said...

Gracey: You just need to see my kids and you couldn't do anything else than be happy with this life! I've been lucky as well though. I have a good job for someone who only did the equivalent of 1 year of post-secondary education so I'm independent and not in any financial hardship. I haven't lost my desire to go further and build a career and it feels just fine that it will be done later. It's exciting to think of a new life (post-children) starting in my early 40's and having a different kind of friend-like relationship with them.

Rebekka @ Becky's Kaleidoscope said...

It's funny how very easily our lives could've been completely different.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO