Friday, June 8, 2012

Raising Children to be Open-Minded

I want my children to be open-minded. I want them to know about other religions and cultures and not be stuck in the way we see things here. I really want them to be able to look at the world with an open mind and to be able to understand differences. Most importantly,  I want them to love others and accept differences there might be whether it's cultural or religion or personality or anything else like sexual orientation.

Instilling the right values is the most important thing for me. I'm not very concerned about making them be the right religion and believing in all the little things contained in the organized religion if Islam.

For some people it's very important to make their children believe and follow every little rule that they themselves personally believe about Islam but for me these are things that they will figure out for themselves and that will fall into place for them as they solidify who they are and what they believe. If they have a good base (which is my focus), I believe their decision will be good.

For some people, it's important that their child have the most unbiased education so that they can decide fully for themselves what they believe in. Meaning that even if they the parents are Muslim or Pagan or Christian or whatever else, they will not teach that to their child. Personally, I feel that it's fine but not as beneficial for the child as having a stronger starting point.

I will raise my children as Muslim but I will let them explore. I know this increases the chances by a lot that they will also be Muslim later on and that by raising them to be Muslim, I am shaping their future in that direction. And I don't feel conflicted AT ALL. I want my children to have the comfort of knowing what they are, if they don't have the inclination to question everything I teach them. If they do question, I like that they will have a starting point and I know that I will be there to help and support them.

I believe that will give them the best chance in life at being well-rounded but stable individuals.

4 Comentários:

Keltainen Omena said...

Salam alaikum wa rahmatullaah,

I agree that it's important to raise ones children to be open-minded, meaning being able to understand the differences and being able to call others to Islam, which of course requires knowledge as well.

Also each parent is like a shepherd responsible over his flock, because Allah has given the parents responsibility over the children and enjoined them to raise the children to obey Allah, and even though the child himself is not accountable before puberty, the guarding still is.

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allaah, but do that which they are commanded.”
[al-Tahreem 66:6]

Candice said...

I agree with you overall but I will want my children to be more open-minded than what you describe. I don't want them to know about others just to be able to use that information to convince them it's wrong and that they should come to Islam. I want them to learn from other religions and build a bridge between themselves and others. And if they cross over, then it is what it is for me as long as they stay good people with good values (loving, generous, patient, kind, compassionate, etc)

LK said...

A more open exposure to different belief systems usually results in far less resentment of religion in general. Many of us grew up with our home religion being shoved down our throats and never having our questions answered. It resulted in resentment toward that religion. Open exposure to other ideas, discussions, and guiding instead of force usually leaves children within their religion. And if not, they will at least seek to have a religion of their own. It will be important to them and they will choose it instead of being forced.

Rebekka @ Becky's Kaleidoscope said...

When I have children one day I want to raise them to be open-minded as well. I want my kids to question things and think critically.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO