Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Healthy Eating


I'm into healthy eating but anyone who knows me (in real or through the blog) knows that I'm not a person of extremes. I am a very gradual person and over time, I've included different things to my family's diet.

  • I don't keep any unhealthy dessert at home; it's a treat when I buy it. This has kicked me in the butt financially quite a few times because it makes me go out to the ice cream place or to buy a couple donuts which costs as much as a week's worth of stuff I'd keep at home if not more! Still, the consumption of this junk is down. 
  • I don't ban juice, but I buy it on rare occaisions only.
  • I always have a variety of fruits available for our sweet tooth.
  • I'm not turning us vegetarian in one day. BUT, I cut our meat consumption in half.
  • I'm not putting the family on a raw foods diet, BUT I'm cooking less and less of our food (vegetables especially) and have not had a hot side in about a week. Only a variety of raw veggies. 
  • I'm not going gluten-free right now, BUT, I'm making changes that include less foods full of gluten and giving more gluten-free options a try in order to be able to make an easier transition when the time comes (if the time comes)


I have written about some of my goals before, but here goes:

  • First, I hope to at least keep up with what I've started in the past few months as a minimum.
  • I would like to have the meat we eat be exclusively organic and halal. 
  • I would like the fruits and vegetables we eat be either locally grown OR organic
  • I would like to have us go gluten-free
And what would be important to my success is if my husband was on board with this. He's not against eating what I've been making, but he needs portions that go against the idea of healthy eating and he adds extra salt and fat a lot of the time, and the ratio of veggies to other is "off". He also supplements my food with a lot of fast food. At least my daughter likes it and has no complaints. She's a good eater, not very difficult and open to trying different things. 

1 Comentário:

Keltainen Omena said...

Having fresh fruit or dates or raisins available at home is a great idea for those of us who are craving for something sweet.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO