Thursday, January 5, 2012

Religion at the moment

Religion has not been on my mind much lately. When I think about it, the feeling of wanting or needing religion kind of let up when things between me and my husband started to go really well. I've seen correlation between religiosity and satisfaction/being content in one's life (and often a difficult childhood plays a part) and I do believe there's causality. It seems to be true in my case. I had a great childhood and my marriage was never horrible... And I never became really religious either... But the times I was most into religion, feeling a need to figure it out has been when I was a confused child and teenager not mature enough and without the resources to learn what I wanted to learn (asking questions but never getting an answer, that whole frustration) and when things were not going well with my husband as an adult.


Right now, I'm at a place where I am more than happy to step fully away from organized religion and just do what feels right to me spiritually. I've talked about a "custom religion" a few times on here because it's always where the real me went... No religion seems good enough. No religion represents God the way I feel Him.

I still consider myself Muslim and this is because I find worth in its rituals and truth in this faith more than others but I'm at the point where I feel it's more about Islam being right *for me* right now and knowing what I accept and what I don't about traditional Islam. It feels pretty clear to me and I am at peace with myself being a Muslim who does not practice much and does not publicly announce herself as Muslim. I don't think I could ever feel that way about any interpretation of Christianity and I probably never will because I'm simply not interested in looking into it further, but I accept that it's a good match for a lot of people and that it can be the right way for others, a way that brings them closer to the truth than they would be with Islam. It's about compatibility!

Of course I find some religions to contain more truth and others less truth, but I want to stay far away from judging.

Other religions that I find a lot of truth in and that speak to me are Buddhism, Taoism, Paganism, Theosophy and Universal Unitarianism. I honestly haven't looked into any of them in much depth but I'm getting something from each of them that I feel makes me a better me.

And this satisfies me. :)

3 Comentários:

Susanne said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue. Interesting!

Candice said...

I'm all over the place, aren't I?

Metis said...

You aren't. A lot of women go through exactly what you went through when they are pregnant. Something deep inside us is triggered. I feel blessed to be more spiritual than my husband.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO