Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hey, a religion post!

This comes from a discussion on Facebook. I hate such closed-mindedness.

The person writes:
Volume 7, Book 63, Number 209:
Narrated Nafi':
Whenever Ibn 'Umar was asked about marrying a Christian lady or a Jewess, he would say: "Allah has made it unlawful for the believers to marry ladies who ascribe partners in worship to Allah, and I do not know of a greater thing, as regards to ascribing partners in worship, etc. to Allah, than that a lady should say that Jesus is her Lord although he is just one of Allah's slaves."

And then adds as first comment:
Alhamdulillah for guidnance. Truly when people say men can marry from Christian and Jew they do nothing but innovate our religion

I really hate it when people so easily accuse others of things in religion, setting others apart from themselves and dividing the Ummah. It's one thing to start a discussion on whether or not we can or should marry non-Muslims, or stating that she believes the proof is strong enough to suggest that we should not, but the way she said it...! I don't have anything against the opinion itself... I find it a good idea to marry someone who believes in the same things and comes from the same or a similar culture just to make the marriage go that much more smoothly. I find cross-cultural and even inter-faith marriage beautiful though and I wouldn't give up my experience.

To continue: Am I the only one who sees no proof whatsoever coming from the hadith that she chose to share? It's weak to begin with when you're basing your point of view on hadith over Quran, weaker when it's not even a hadith from Muhammad and then there's just the fact that the hadith itself doesn't say anything about not marrying Jews and Christians... Only not marrying idolators.

She managed to say that non-Muslims don't believe in the same God in her replies to me and I was mostly getting more and more offended and frustrated. Another commenter was obviously a bit offended at what was written and she just ended it by thanking her for making her think and making others seek knowledge in Islam. Can't people just say what they want to say without fear of seeming like bad Muslims?

Gah, this has been an annoying little topic to have to deal with this morning.

Unite people, PLEASE! Talk about what you believe in and discuss topics that you feel need addressing, but a little bit of respect goes a long way!
I will say what I believe: I believe that keeping unity in the Ummah is more important than so many little topics that pull us apart. I believe that if someone has an opinion that is different than most other Muslims (or even some), they should state it but also be careful to state it in a way that still shows respect and acceptance of others, for the sake of the Ummah! I love all of humanity for all sorts of reasons even if I disagree and it's the same feeling I have for other Muslims that I disagree with.

I feel the need to say that this woman is not a hateful person at all... She follows a pretty narrow interpretation of Islam, but she is not mean or harsh, even with non-Muslims as far as I know. She is following what she believes in, I just didn't appreciate what was said or the way it was presented this morning and that might be my own fault for being sensitive to things that bring people apart.

4 Comentários:

❤ αmαℓ said...

Idk about the authenticity of that hadith in particular, buuut there are a lot of scholars debating whether modern day Christians even constitute as the ones mentioned in the Qur'an. Because Christians pray to Jesus now and say he is the same as God, I guess. I suppose that is where people (i.e. some Muslims) see Christians as idolaters and "not allowed" to marry.

jana z. said...

my first thought was barf. this is exactly the kind of stuff that makes me want to be a unitarian lol. the problem with people like this is that their view is the only view. nothing else could be even possibly correct!

Candice said...

Amal: I totally understand that debate. I think it depends on the individual and his or her church on that question. This person was barring all non-Muslims for marriage...

Jana: I don't consider myself a UU since I've never been to their church and I'm not part of their community, but based on the things they believe in, I could easily say I am one. But that doesn't mean you can't be Muslim too. :)

Nikki said...

Glad I didn't see the conversation. And oooooh how dare she talk about innovation in religion right after using a hadith from Umar as though it was the word of God. I KNOW she doesn't think that, (that hadith is = Quran) but that's how it comes off to me. Umar is not a prophet (and as a Shi'a his hadith are not even relevant), so I'm sorry, but if so and so said he said this....that does not make it law for me, nor do I think it should make it law for ANYONE Shi'a or Sunni. Hadith from Muhammad I will consider. But still, if you aren't going to take the gospel as the teachings of Jesus because it's gone through too much transmission then think a bit more critically on those hadith.

I apologize. I've had a bit too many bad experiences with narrow minded Muslims.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO