Wednesday, December 7, 2011

None of my business but...

This is completely non of my business and that's why I haven't said anything to her... And I hate that I might sound like I'm judging because that's not my intent... But I am disappointed in my cousin for weaning her 11 week old from the breast. :(


The selfish aspect is that I liked to have someone going through the same thing as me at the same time as me. We went out and we'd both be breastfeeding in public - that kind of thing.
But it also just makes no sense to me! Of course I am very pro-breastfeeding and I love it but there are many other reasons that just make sense! She's there with painful boobs giving her baby the bottle when she would feel better if he took the breast, her baby would prefer the breast and the breast is the healthiest thing for her baby! And knowing that a big part of why she is weaning is so that she can have a beer once in a while and in particular so that she can get drunk in a few weeks for her birthday/new year's party is really disappointing. It's one thing that she also likes that her boyfriend will be able to help her more and give her a break when he already takes care of the other two (one of which is not his) more than her, but to wean for alcohol instead of waiting it out an extra couple months for her baby to have gotten that much more benefit is something I don't understand.

I'm very close with my cousin and I love her to death, but she really doesn't shy away from thinking about herself sometimes. Her kids are well dressed and she always puts those things before her own needs and wants wardrobe-wise and she is a dedicated mother in other ways so this post wasn't to say that she didn't take care of her kids because she really does... But this one aspect today made me feel kind of weird.

2 Comentários:

Aynur said...

I'm always surprised/saddened when I hear of people weaning their kids so early, or of not even trying breastfeeding at all. She could always 'pump and then dump' if she's going to drink, I heard that should be fine if she wants to breastfeed after drinking.

We went to visit one of my husband's friends when they had their baby last year - and I was kind of shocked when she warmed up a bottle. :p

Candice said...

We can see it as a good thing that we become shocked to see people using a bottle. Means lots of moms are chosing to breastfeed! :D

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO