Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Trying to plant seeds of doubt and worry

A co-worker of mine kind of bugged me with a couple things she said this morning.

First about the computer store my husband is starting... She wasn't even in the conversation I was having but she managed to insert comments about how there's a store here, and one there... And she knows people who fix computers... Just kind of a downer comment with no other goal than to make me feel like my husband will fail. Or at least that's the way I feel about her comment.

Then in that conversation the other co-worker I was talking with asks me if the woman who came with my husband during lunch yesterday is my cousin. I tell her no, it's my husband's co-worker/friend who was helping him paint the store. So the bugging co-worker starts to ask if I really feel OK about him being with a woman all day, about how she wouldn't if she was me, about how my husband wouldn't accept me hanging out alone with a man all day so shouldn't I set the same limits for him? Was that a way to make me feel uncomfortable about the friendship? If I don't feel uncomfortable about it, then why should it bother her?!

The way it works for me is that if my husband is uncomfortable with me hanging out with men alone, out of respect and love, I can abstain from that. And if I feel uncomfortable, he will do the same. I simply didn't feel uncomfortable about this particular situation. She was there helping him out and they aren't close friends hanging out together outside of work.

6 Comentários:

Mona Z said...

Ugh, some people are just toxic. All they do is bring negativity.

Aasiyah said...

Bad bad whispers. Shake it off. Uff. Hate it when they psych you.

JaLpArI - tHe MeRmAiD said...

don't you give an ear to that..............

no no no....

crush the hands that pull you down...
keep going gal...:)

Becky said...

I feel like some people prey on your insecurities, even to a degree where they'll make you insecure or shaming you for NOT being insecure about something. Keep trusting your own instincts, you know best what's going on. If you're not worried, there's no need to be. Stay positive.

Candice said...

Becky - Isn't that weird to make someone insecure about not being insecure! But yes, I guess that's exactly what she was doing/trying to do.

Becky said...

I tend to be rather confident about my choices, and I make some unorthodox choices, and that happens to me a lot. It often comes from women who are insecure themselves, and if you don't "fall in line" and live up to the normal "girl expectations" then they'll try and cut you down.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO