Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Siblings Sharing Bedrooms

What has your experience been either as a child yourself or as a parent?

I never shared a room with my brother except for some summers where we'd spend most of it camping in the basement to avoid the heat. We enjoyed that though and it was a nice bonding experience. I have no strong positive or negative feelings about having my own room when I was young but I would like Nora and the new baby to share a room and have that very strong sister-brother bond that forms when spending more time together and having to share.

I'd like them to always have two rooms though, both shared. One for sleeping and clothes and stuff and the other for play and homework. I like the idea of not having most toys belonging to one child and most toys being "family toys". And eventually when it doesn't work anymore, they could easily enough have their own room - I like to be open-minded enough to allow them to make their own decisions about the set-up eventually and not just go with my own preference!

3 Comentários:

Mona Z said...

I like that idea, I shared a room with my sister until she got married and moved out. My 2 younger girls want to share a room forever apparently!

Becky said...

I can't say anything about brother-sister relationships, as we grew up 3 girls together. The youngest is 7 years younger than me, and the other is just less than 2 years younger than me, so she's the one it's really been an "issue" with. Throughout our childhood we've shared rooms on and off. When we've shared rooms together it has most often been the "two rooms" together idea, which worked really well... most of the time. I think as long as you take the kids input as well, it shouldn't be an issue.

Nikki said...

My sister and I shared a room for 22 years and always got along great (of course there are arguments with any siblings...and as we got older her lack of organization coupled with my OCD was a bit grating, lol, but I don't think you'd have that until waaaay down the line). I think in America, at least, it is rather uncommon for children of different genders to share rooms, although sticking to gender neutral themes and toys could be good for the both of them. My BIL and SIL are currently sharing a room while staying here in America (just 2 months) he's 19 and she 14...I think they find it a bit awkward at these ages.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO