Thursday, June 2, 2011

Do you believe in moral universalism?

There are different points of views within the idea of moral universalism, but basically, do you believe that what is moral for one is moral for all, or do you believe closer to the opposite that morals are relative to a person's culture or society?

I think that morality is universal but I don't think it's easy to get to the ultimate truth of it. I also think that things that are OK morally are vast - it's not all black and white (moral and immoral) either. So it leaves a lot of room for some cultures to not allow things and some to allow other things without necessarily having one of them being immoral. That's my take. What's your's?

6 Comentários:

Becky said...

Hmmm, that's a very good question.

I think some (most) moral questions are universal (such as it being wrong to steal, cheat, kill etc.), but others might be more subjective/cultural (individualism><society, abortion, human rights etc.)

Becky said...

I liked your thoughts as well :)

LK said...

I agree with Becky. There are some basic morals that seem to be in majority. But many others are culturally subjective.

Amber said...

I think there are certain things that are, in themselves, always immoral, always wrong. And they're that way because if you do them you are taking something from another person against their will. So, in my opinion, that would be murder, rape and theft (whether that's at gun point or a white collar crime).

Other than that, it's very cultural/society/personally subjective.

Candice said...

Interesting responses! Thank you for your imputs :)

Lady of the Ozarks said...

I agree with what everyone else posted. Some morals are universal but some are specific to culture.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO