Monday, November 8, 2010

Names of Allah

I was looking a bit back into maybe finding an Islamic name for myself. By Islamic I mean a name that would represent me as a Muslim. A meaning that inspires me or a figure in Islam's history that inspires me. Not to replace my current name, but to be added to it possibly as a middle name.

I got into looking into the 99 names of Allah to maybe be Amatul-___ and while doing this, I realized that the most meaningful name of Allah for me was the Just. With justice, you get peace, you leave more room for love instead of hate, you put your intentions in the right place.

Here is a nice quote from The Hidden Words. I know some Muslims are against appreciating texts from other religions, but I get something positive out of this and see no reason to force myself not to find it inspiring. Enjoy:

2. O SON OF SPIRIT!
The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes.

5 Comentários:

Becky said...

I'm considering taking a Muslim name as well, to replace my current middle name which I took as a symbol of my Christianity when I was baptized at the age of 12 (Kristine (in Danish we spell Christ Krist(us)). So ideally I'd pick a new name that starts with K as well, so I wouldn't have to change the way I sign my name. I'm rather picky though and want a name that has a good meaning, if it relates to a person in history I have to admire that prson, and it has to sound good with my name too :P

faith said...

assalamu alaikum

justice:

http://www.desitwist.com/spiritual-heaven/justice-quraan-hadith-21933.html

Candice said...

Becky: I think it is reasonable to want something that goes well with your name and has a good meaning! It will be much more "your's" if you pick something you love in meaning and that also feels right with your first name. When I thought of a Muslim name if I had to choose one to *replace* my name (which I never seriously considered doing, but I love to think about names), I only thought of K names. Since I speak English, Kh names worked too and Khadijah felt like a really good one. Candice and Khadijah have a similar feel to them!

hajar aman shah said...

I think justice has such a beautiful meaning. Justice - the quality of reasonable. Adila/adeela means justice, i couldn't find a K though, Although Khadijah also have a very significant inspiration to it.

Candice said...

I don't really like the sound of Adeela. I didn't like the sound of Amatuladl at all either and my husband said it sounds just weird in Arabic since it's not very used as a name, if it is at all.

Khadijah is quite pretty and an inspirational woman. But since I wouldn't be replacing my name and just adding a middle name, it would sound weird, I find. Candice Khadija... Not a great combo. I'll probably never change it. lol

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO