Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Eid and Hijab

Bouncey games for the kids

Update on how my Eid celebration went and what I wore to it last Saturday, just for fun.

It was great fun. It was for kids so the focus was on that. Nora was little miss independent 3-year old and did the bouncey games over and over by herself and just had fun. I supervised her closely for the first hour to make sure she knew to go to the back of the line and how to wait for her turn and when I met Anisah up, there were lots more people there so I lost track of Nora quite a lot but she did great doing her thing I found! It was so great to meet Anisah for the first time in person and her youngest daughter too who I had seen in pictures only.

Overall the event made me want to be a part of the Muslim community more. I am so detached I only see the negative from people on the internet who are a lot more up front because it's so anonymous and forget all the positives of being around other Muslims! I see so few Muslims that I forget that I don't feel about Muslims what I feel about *some* Muslims online. It made me want to find ways to be a part of the community but I'm not sure how... And with just a few days that have passed, I know that already I am not thinking about this very much and am not actively trying to find a way to do something...

Anyway... Onto what I wore:

I wore a brown embroidered buttoned up dress just below the knee with jeans underneath and an orange and black little cardi on top and a dark brown al-amira with decorated underscarf. I felt pretty good in that but it got itchy under the chin and kinda hot in the face. Here is a picture of the look. The photo quality is bad because it's from my phone...



I felt pretty good in it. There were women not wearing hijab and I still felt better in this than I would have without hijab even if it would have been what I normally wear (pretty modest clothes but without a headscarf). What do you think?

10 Comentários:

Banana Anne said...

Masha'Allah, I love it! It looks cute, casual, yet put together.

Mona Z said...

I love the outfit. The way you had it layed out reminded me of how my girls do that when they have a big day :)

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

Cute outfit! Its similar to a lot of stuff I wear, especially since it rains a lot here in the winter and so the long skirts aren't so practical.

Susanne said...

Really nice outfit! I'm glad you had a nice time with the Muslim community and that Nora enjoyed herself. :)

Candice said...

Thanks!! Mona, yes, I do that with Nora too sometimes. I actually laid this outfit out yesterday which was a few days after the event. lol.

Technodoll said...

I think it's great and you for sure rocked the look ;-)

Pretty handy in winter, too... but can you pull it off in hot humid summer months?

(Apologies for the stupid question )

Candice said...

Technodoll: I don't wear hijab but I try to dress at a bit covered up even in summer. Since I don't have the restrictions of hijab, I still feel free to dress as I want, sometimes covering a bit less in summer when it's too hot but I still manage to not wear pants or tank tops without ever feeling like I should be wearing them. Long skirts are very comfy and I wear long sleeves on lots of summer days, short sleeves when it's hotter.

But I think the headscarf would really be something to get used to during summer. I have worn it before on summer days and it was difficult. And it wasn't a really hot summer day! It probably takes a while to get used to it because it was hot for me even last week inside a nicely tempered room.

lala said...

I love that they had so much for the kids. How cool! Your outfit is very sweet looking too--looks very comfortable, modest but stylish!

Anisah said...

HIIII Salam alaykom It's THE Anisah... sorry it's late..but better than never !!
Candice looked awesome... and seriouly..I was hot.. and I have been hijabified since 2006. I did wear Hijab in 2004 when I first converted but it did not go well. anyhow.. Candice did awesome. I still feel like she does about the community. It's a very long process for sure. Everyone hasd their own rythms..and what I have learned is to just let things happen..but we do..as the newcommers have to make a little more effort to participate. noone there talked to us lol eventually they wilget used to seeing us and maybe approach. For sure we do get the men glancing at us though!! grrrrr
was fun..but poor Jennah wanted to do soemthing so badly lol she was too young for the bouncy thigns... we ahve fun at Tims though! lol at least we could talk a bit.

hope do to it again soon Incha'Allah.

Candice said...

I'm so glad to see you on here Anisah. And I really had a great time with you at the mosque! Hopefully there'll be another event soon that would be interesting to attend. I actually wanted to go to the movie screening on Saturday but it was not nice out and my husband was working anyway.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO