Monday, November 29, 2010

Music

Writing about how boring I've become actually made me think of a topic related to Islam that I could write about on here! YAY for that! It came up on sister Zainab's blog Arabian Panther and when I wrote a comment a few days ago, it came out as a story that would be better suited for a post than a comment. So here it is:


First time I heard about someone "quitting" music at a sort of convention for young Muslims I was not Muslim yet and was at the very beginning of knowing about Islam (had met one Muslim in my life back then) and I thought it was crazy! How had music become so evil to this person? He must really have been mad about music, 24/7! Breathing music day and night and it must have been having a negative effect on his day to day life. But as I listened to his story, it really wasn't *that* bad... He was a regular music-lover like me and lots of other normal functioning people I knew.

As a bit of time went on and I got married and pregnant and had my daughter, I stopped loving music so much. Didn't download or buy music anymore and didn't attend shows. It simply became unimportant. Then this became my normal. I realized that what I was before was not normal, but quite extreme, when it came to music. It was on when I woke up, between classes, while I did homework, while I cooked, when I rollerbladed, when I did the groceries, etc. It was on ALL THE TIME and I would not have tolerated a cold-turkey stop well for sure.

The new me didn't actively listen to music, but she still didn't think it was haram at all if a person did not go overboard. She still thought there was such a thing as a music lover doing it halal... But with examples like your's, a person who was responsible in how she listened to music, I finally realized that there is no way to prevent from going "overboard" because people who are overboard cannot see it!!!

Sorry for my long comment, but I hadn't thought about music in a long time and your post was kind of the concluding trigger for me. So thank you!

Basically: Yes, my point of view on music has changed (a tiny bit!). It's hard for me to say exactly what my point of view is on music, but I used to be a "music is halal as long as it does not have haram themes or affect our day to day life" and now I would not say that. I wouldn't "HARAAAAM!" anyone either, ever. But I would keep my mouth shut if it came up (whatever their point of view). Not bad progress, right?

9 Comentários:

Stephanie said...

my opinion is music is one of the most beautiful things we have in this life. I'll never "give it up" nor will I feel guilty about it!

Nikki said...

I agree with Stephanie.

As for your story - I was never a music junkie...went to occasional concerts with friends, frequent coffee house shows, bought occasional CDs, but everything I did was within my means. I wasn't throwing away money I needed for something else...I was a high schooler and it was just the normal thing. I listened to it in my car, sometimes while using the computer, and 24/7 at Christmastime, lol, but that's about it.

Currently, I only really listen to it in my car. I only buy new CDs when a group I already know I like comes out with a new one, which equates with 1 or 2 cds (at most) a year. I've been to one concert (a pianist concert) since my son was born, etc. etc.

I play the piano and always will. My husband plays the oud and guitar. My son is only two but it's very apparent that he is musically inclined.

Why would God give someone an obvious talent and wish for them to not use it and share it with others? I was a Christian and there were Psalms of David which talked about praising God with harps and flutes and dance, etc. As Muslims we're told that the Psalms are from God (or at least were initially) so I don't understand how you go from pleasing God with music in one faith tradition to music being totally forbidden in another (which is supposed to be a reminder of the previous).

I see a major disconnect. And I don't buy the all music is haram argument.

Could my stance change? Perhaps. Anythings possible. Previously I would have said I'd never convert to Islam. :)

Struggling Muslimah said...

As a college student I see kids that are the definition if addicted. I work in a studio setting and someone alllllways has something blasting. It's hard not to become accustomed to it after a month or two and now I find myself feeling weird if I'm in there alone and it's quiet. But your absolutely right and I believe that cutting back while it must be a conscious decision for many, happens naturally for alot of people...you just kind of get sick of it!

Candice said...

Stephanie: Maybe your comment was directed more towards "haram police on music" because I definitely didn't say or even suggest that a person shoulg give it up or feel guilty...

Nikki: I love music but I've been able to see that a person who actively listens to music, even in a pretty limited way has effects. A lot of music-listening is completely innocent like for children and I support and encourage my daughter to listen to appropriate music to help learn things and for her to dance to and just develop musicality at her young age.

I was just trying to write about how I can now understand (and respect) people "quitting music". I see it a bit like quitting TV. It's not because it's haram in and of itself, but there's so much haram in it and it's hard to see the dividing line. Sometimes it's about themes (sex, violence, etc.), but sometimes music with perfectly halal themes can put a person into a state close to intoxication where they are feelings things they don't really feel. Example, when I was young me and a friend would listen to sad songs to make ourselves cry. And as an adult, there are certain songs that can make me feel extremely sad, or a bunch of other emotions. Aren't there realities devastating enough I could learn about to make me sad? (Of course the answer is yes)

Overall, I think music is great for:

1) children
2) motivation for exercise (Qur'an won't make you move!)
3) hobby - learning something new like playing an instrument or watching a talented performer.

Jamilah said...

I did 'quit' music. At first just cut back, then just pop type nasheeds then nothing. I don't miss it.

I did my research, and talked to people I trust and I do think its haram. If someone does not feel the same way, that is fine with me.

Here is a good link on music if anyone wants to know more...

http://muttaqun.com/music.html

lala said...

I stopped listening to music cold turkey awhile ago... maybe two years ago? I'm fine with others views bc it's not my place to judge others or instruct them, esp in this sometimes grey area. I read a lot of hadith and studied, listened to lectures, etc. to come to my point of view though. Congrats on coming to a point in your view on it where you feel comfortable; I think it's the intentions sometimes that matter the most if that makes sense.

Candice said...

Thanks, lala. I think intentions are very important, definitely.

Anisah said...

my view.. it's all in ur intentions !

dreamlife said...

There's a wonderfully comprehensive book on the subject: "Slippery Stone" by Khalid Baig.

http://www.onlineislamicstore.com/b9986.html

It gives a history of music in Arabia (including poetry, which is it's precursor), then goes through the Quran and numerous hadith - looking at both the "for" and "against" arguments to try to come to the truth.

many of the misconceptions and arguments people have on the subject could be much better understood by reading the book...and it's pretty easy to read as well.

I myself have left music - but because it was such a huge part of my life (all the way into adulthood), i think the remnants of it will always be there; and the temptation will probably always be there too.

Kids start with a blank slate, though - so you have the chance to mould your child according to the understanding you have and the stance you want to take.

It doesn't guarantee they'll follow your view when they grow up - but it's your duty to raise your child as best you can; and that includes teaching them what is and isn't correct.

As for dealing with adults - i agree that it's best not to impose your view on others.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO