Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Blood Drive during Ramadan

There's a blood drive in my town on the 13th and 14th. I'd really like to give blood but with fasting and everything, I'm thinking I might not be up for it. So of course, one option is to not participate. Another option is to go as early as possible since that's when I'd be feeling best. And the last option is to be the very last to get blood drawn since they close at 8pm and fasting is until just a couple minutes before that. I'd be able to have a bite to eat just before and then have a real meal after the blood-giving. I'd just worry that I will feel really unwell after giving blood when I'm already not very nourished. And if I give at the beginning of the day, I worry that it will cause me to feel so weak I won't be able to complete my fast.


What do you think?

6 Comentários:

Becky said...

How often would you normally have the opportunity to give blood? Because, if it is something you can do every month, then it might not be so bad to not do it right now, but if you only have the possibility once a year, then maybe you should go ahead.

If you do decide to go ahead, I think it would be better to do it in the evening, since at least you'll be able to relax and eat and drink, whereas if you do it in the morning, you might end up feeling rather unwell for the rest of the day.

Maybe you could call and ask them about it?

Sophia said...

Oh dear, you could really mess yourself up if you give blood while fasting. Some people pass out from just not eating breakfast the same day as giving blood. Why not make a commitment to give blood after Ramadan? Just because the blood drive ends doesn't mean they won't need donors and I'm sure there are local hospitals that will take your donation regardless of when. Or break fast for those days and make up for them after Ramadan? I doubt that you will be serving God well if you're hungry AND have dangerously low platelets! Be safe Candace, and good luck with Ramadan! (Wish me luck too...)

Anya said...

good for u!

Amber said...

For myself, I'd think that donating at the end of the day, where you can eat right away afterward would work best. You said you could eat before hand, by a couple minutes? So maybe have some oj or the cookies that they usually pass out for after. Something that'll give you a quick boost of energy that you can ride until you get a real meal after donating?

Rukhpar Mor said...

I like most of the advice given. I would not recommend it during Ramadan unless it is after Iftar when you have eaten AND drank something....

Susanne said...

I wouldn't give in the morning because after giving blood, you need to eat, drink and you would likely be weak the rest of the day. It would also be hard to give blood after fasting all day, I think. I wonder if your veins would be willing enough after being deprived of water all day. Maybe waiting to another month would be good.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO