Thursday, July 15, 2010

The mentality of some people!

I signed up for a stroller walk and the goal is to raise money for a certain charity that helps support children with caner and their families. I asked for donations at work and almost everyone gave a little something which made me quite happy.

This afternoon I was realizing how close it is to my husband's birthday and how little I actually want to deal with getting him a gift. I decided that I'd give a donation to a charity I know he likes and that happens to be a hospital for children with cancer in Cairo and I mentionned this to my co-worker. MISTAKE.

She says, "We have children here!" In trying to not get into anything, I answer, "They have some too - even more than us!" And she continues, "You're not from there, you're from Quebec. They need to take care of themselves!" and I was just without a response... There is nothing to convince people like her that children are children everywhere. People are people no matter where they're from! I've had these types of ridiculous conversations with her before and got NOWHERE so I just stopped talking.

What makes it even more ridiculous is that I'm donating and trying to get donations for a very similar charity here in Quebec! So yes, I also care for here (if it's even any of her business!) And that my donation to Egypt will be a GIFT to someone who is EGYPTIAN. So who am I to pick what he cares about? Of course he cares for his home country and its people.

7 Comentários:

Barbie Jones said...

Ahhh!You've got such a big heart.I appreciate that you care for children and their mommies anywhere,it doesn't matter where.But,I think I would put my money where there is research being done for the cure of cancer and there is evidence of good results like for instance St. Jude Children's' Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.The little toddles need their mommies with them so they need our financial support to be able to stay with them during cancer treatments,so funds need to be raised for them too and they need to be ministered to and there is where I am eager to help,they need to be strong to go on.

Candice said...

I support whatever charity a person chooses to donate to. It's not about that, really. And it's not about having big hearts or that this coworker doesn't... It's about refusing to accept that a person could care for *others* and it's sad because of how connected we all are just from being HUMAN.

Susanne said...

I think it's sweet to help out ANYONE who needs it. And, yes, a birthday gift for your husband..it makes sense that you would help out Egyptians. Your coworker should keep her opinions to herself especially when someone else is being thoughtful.

UmmSqueakster said...

Some people (referencing the person you originally posted about), just aren't worth talking to.

Another thing to put on your to do list when you go to Egypt is see about sponsoring some orphans. A little money goes a long way in that. Again, your husband will probably know how to do that, since mine does, ha.

Jaz said...

I agree, you can give money to whichever charity you wish because in the end it helps another human. However, sometimes I feel like we forget our own countries when sometimes they do need help too.

Technodoll said...

I guess that guy must switch the tv channel every time a commercial comes on about giving to oxfam, united way, wwf, greenpeace, etc...

*shakes head*

Candice said...

It's a woman, but yes, I'm sure she does! :S

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO