Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ayah of the Week - 1

Slight change of plan for my Ayah of the Week segment. I will post an Ayah and then ask the question, "What do you get from this?" and put my answer. And then it will be your turn, dear readers to add what YOU get from it. Just a way to force everyone to take a second to think about what Allah is teaching us.

Note: I understand that I am posting a translation, which is an interpretation of the meaning of the Qur'an so I welcome any comment about a distinction I might not seem to understand.


"The mutual rivalry for piling up (the good things of this world) diverts you (from the more serious things)" (Qur'an, 102:1)


What do you get from this?

It reminds me of what my priorities should be. It's not about this world but the next, and competition and greed are nothing but distractions from worshiping Allah.

5 Comentários:

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

Reminds me that all we see in this world is only temporary. Some things are necessary for our physical life and were created with a benefit, but they can so easily just disappear.

I like the idea of this segment. I might try to do something similar to get posting more frequently again!

ellen557 said...

Yes, that everything is fleeting and we need to concentrate on what will help us in the end: our religion. I think that verse also sums up the difficulties that many people have (incl myself) with religion, that we need to learn to place ourselves back in the queue and put God (swt) first.

Candice said...

Great comments! Please continue to comment in the future Ayah of the Week posts!! Thanks so much!

UmmSqueakster said...

This reminds me of a shirt from my youth. I'm probably dating myself here, but when I was in late elementary school and junior high, "No Fear" shirts were popular. One said "He who dies with the most toys wins."

And of course, it is just the opposite. He who dies with the most toys still dies, and those toys do him no good in the akhira.

From the tafsir on this verse, it was revealed when two tribes were competing with one another over who had more members and more prestige. Allah (swt) is telling them that it doesn't matter who your family is, and what you gather in this world. Spending time for the dunya simply for the sake of pride distracts us from our real goal.

Candice said...

Beautiful UmmSqueakster! Just what I'm looking for! :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO