Friday, May 7, 2010

Wanting to improve myself

I want to separate myself from everything that brings me further away from Allah and from Islam. I want nothing else than to improve myself and make my life as "pure" as possible. For me, an important part lies in simplifying my life and getting rid of all the useless extra we now prioritize like a television show, music, internet (like online games) and other things. But I find that these 3 are MAJOR because of how much time we can spend on them without realizing it.


I am not against any of them in essence. I think that watching a good educational or informative TV show is great. I think that watching 1 or 2 fun shows a week that are halal in their topics but provide no real educational value is fine! I think listening to nasheeds is good and listening in moderation some songs that are halal in topics is fine. Same with internet. There is a lot of great information on there! I think a lot of us came to Islam with a lot of help from the internet and born Muslims probably learned things about their religion that made them better Muslims and that's really great! But there's so much time-consuming crap on there too!


I feel that it's so hard to keep a balance on all this. If you have cable, you are bound to watch some shows that deal with haram topics. I love a lot of those shows, actually, and I feel there is nothing bad since I know what I believe, but I have to admit to myself that it's not doing anything positive to watch these things. That's what is so tempting about them! Why should I continue when I get nothing good out of watching these shows?? OK, I get a laugh and a bit of stress relief, but I know I could get stress relief by better managing my time and getting things done faster and then reading a good book. And I laugh all the time, so who needs the shows? I DON'T.


I now feel blessed that I don't have cable or satellite. I can watch some things on the internet. If I don't find it worth taking the time to search for online, then it probably wasn't worth the time I was going to spend watching it on TV.


Goals:

- have a bigger repertoire of (healthy) meals to make
- be a tiny bit more self-sufficient (have a garden, have chickens)
- make better use of my time (eliminate time not well spent on the comuter)
- read to my daughter at least every day
- better keep the home

Funny how I spend so much of my time at work, but none of my goals have ANYTHING to do with my work. :P

8 Comentários:

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I am trying to spend less time online too. It is definitely easier said than done. Its so much easier to play outside and read books when there are less distractions in the house.
InshaAllah you'll be disciplined an reach those goals with ease!

NeverEver said...

MashaAllah good goals. :-) I'm feeling like I need to make some new goals too. I'm beginning to lose my focus a bit. I tried fasting yesterday to see if my concentration improved and alhamdulillah it was helpful. Allah make it easy for you ameeeeeeeen! :-D

heart/and/soul said...

I totally agree with you. I think alot of us are also in the same situation as you. It's all about self-control and as a Muslim, you realllly gotta have it!! lol But I guess you cant totally cut yourself from these things, so what i'd suggest is to focus on your deen and prayers first, then it will become easier for you not to watch those pointless tv programs etc. :)

Banana Anne said...

Masha'Allah at taking this initiative! Insha'Allah you will be successful, and Insha'Allah we will all follow suit as well; it's a great reminder for the rest of us to be more proactive about our lives.

Rene´s Bare Essentials said...

salaam alaikum,

Great goals, as Muslims I think we can all benefit from this!

Technodoll said...

I'm not religious but admire people who are devoted and dedicated to what they believe - and those are awesome goals! :)

Candice said...

NeverEver: That's interesting... Maybe I should also take up fasting once in a while. But it's really very hard for me and I don't feel the strength for it right now... :S

heart/and/soul: Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one. I think things fall into place better when the base is there.

Techno: Thanks for your comment. I have my more religious goals and I have goals like this which could be or could not be religious. I just feel Islam is everything and every aspect of life, so I relate it back to that in some way even if it's not necessarily religious goals.

caraboska said...

GRAND OPENING ANNOUNCEMENT: I have now started posting on my own blog! I invite you all to stop by and have a look :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO