Friday, April 16, 2010

The pool again!

Nora loved the pool so much that I decided to go again this week just for a free swim. I was supposed to go with my cousin and her daughter but she bailed out on us as I knew she would (I was waiting for her call all day! lol). It's actually really sad for her daughter, but I won't go into it. Maybe another time...

I get to the poolside and start getting us wet and an instructor from the courses that just finished comes up to me. She says, "We're aware that you wear your suit for religious reasons, but the evening lifeguards might not know and might ask, but it's OK and we know you and your daughter take courses here."

It was weird. I guess it was a way of reassuring me that they fully accept my suit, but that I still might get questions because not every employee is aware of it and it's not a regular thing to see people swimming in this. It was nice of her, really. I think she might have been the supervisor from last time, but I didn't see her so I'm not sure.

A big deal for a swimsuit, eh?

7 Comentários:

Anisah said...

yeah no kidding.. u trouble maker you!!! lol I am so proud of you!
bravo!

yeah Im sure they are all freaked out cause of the Niqaab issue.

It was really good of her to go out of her way to make you feel accepted. Incha'Allahyou will continue getting this positive feedback in the future.

keep up the good work sis !!

InkBlotsBlueAbayas said...

People are really funny sometimes. I often wonder though: if suits like yours were more readily available would they become part of the norm? I'm pretty sure my mom's age group at least would jump on them lol

Umm Omar said...

Here in the West, they're simply not used to seeing someone with that type of suit on; most don't even know these suits exist! But good for you-it's so brave of you to keep going back with this suit and Allah even made it easier for you when he sent that woman to you to reassure you. Alhamdullillah! Very inspiring...

Susanne said...

Cute! I think they have secret swimsuit envy!

Candice said...

LK: I think they would catch on at least a bit! I know a lot of people who are self-conscious and would probably like a more "covering" swimsuit. But they probably wouldn't wear these suits because they'd be self-conscious that they're wearing something that is so different! it would need to get popular before these girls would wear it! So it's unlikely to happen, I think.

My mom is looking for something more covering, but mine is just too much for her. i think she fits in the category I described. She will probably get the tank top ones with the little bathing suit shorts that are very popular.

Candice said...

Umm Omar: Thanks for your comment... I actually feel like a huge baby when it comes to being openly Muslim. I don't even feel able to tell my parents that I am Muslim yet. The general public I'm less concerned about (and the suit I was really confident in from the very beginning). I guess I should be thankful that there's a little bit of strength there and continue working on finding more.

Mona Z said...

Yea people are afraid of anything different. InshaAllah it gets easier.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO