Thursday, March 18, 2010

"A mekkah of..."

Is this expression offensive to any Muslims?

At work someone had a book called The Bible of Shooters for all sorts of hard alcoholic drinks. I thought to myself that this book title could be offensive to Christians.. I mean, the Bible is their Holy book and it's being used when talking about shooters! I wouldn't like it if they called it the Quran of Shooters!

It got me thinking of the expression "a Mekka of..." which I never found offensive... But really it's not that different than a "Bible of..." They are both important and Holy for people in each religion. Maybe the reason I don't feel offended is that I feel much more for the Qur'an than Mekka. And also that when the Mekka expression is used, it's mostly positive and not tryign to make the thing sound holy. I found the "Bible of Shooters" was like a way of saying that it was a great resource for shooters, but also saying that alcohol is very important... kwim?

What do you think?

5 Comentários:

caraboska said...

Hmm, yeah... Although then again, in the original Greek, it just means 'book'. What I find offensive is people who apparently work as 'evangelists' for... software companies! As if Microsoft were some kind of cult (and maybe it is)!

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

It never bothered me...there's a shop here called Furniture Mecca and I never saw it as something bad...

Susanne said...

I don't mind it so much basically for the same reason Caraboska mentioned. But I can definitely see your POV. :)

Anisah said...

Before I ever even heard of Islam.. I thought it was just MEGA lol

eyes serene said...

I've thought about that, too, but it doesn't bother me, personally.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO