Thursday, February 4, 2010

Funerals...

I was thinking about if I died... I'm sure my husband would use this blog to prove to my parents that a Muslim funeral would be my wish. They would go about it the regular way people do around here, but of course, that envolves embalming, and most likely cremation, so my husband would be totally against it. Even if I hadn't converted, I'm sure he would have done all he could to avoid these two things after I died.

To me, my body is something temporary and once I'm dead, it isn't *me* anymore. Yes, it's something that represents me because that's how everyone knew me. As who I am in this body of mine. But personally, I would be OK with being cremated. I think it's useless to embalm me. Seriously, just bury me already! Embalming is just creepy. But if it had to be done (when it's cold, the ground can't be easily dug out), then it would just be done and whatever, it's fine.

That being said, I'd rather do it the Islamic way of taking care of the body. Cleaning it, burying it quickly, and not cremating it. I like the simplicity. And I'd rather have Qur'an read at my funeral than the Bible that would likely be read at a funeral arranged by my parents. Religion isn't a big part of funerals anymore for us, but there is pretty much always a bit of Bible thrown in there.

And I really want it out there that if I die, I don't want people spending hundreds of dollars on flowers. I would like all money to be donated to a charity. If there's enough to sponsor a child for a year, then I'd appreciate that to be done for me. Maybe it would encourage someone to take over the sponsorship after the money from the funeral has been used. They could keep it up in my memory. I feel good imagining that could happen.

7 Comentários:

.::Tuttie::. said...

i really like the idea of having the money used to sponsor a child. REALLY like it. I think you should have a will in place as well so that the family doesn't get torn apart over the small issues. I mean you have a daughter with him and the families need to be at least amicable with each other for your daughter's sake.

Candice said...

A will would be a good idea. I feel as though I don't need one because I don't have much. But there are some details that would be nice to have clear. But I might not even be clear with them myself so I'm not ready to go there just now.

Wrestling With Religion said...

OMG, you're not dying are you?? :S

I don't really care much what is done with my body after my death. I don't know why, but I don't.

Candice said...

I'm in good health, no worries! But we still never know when we might go.

Umm Omar said...

I love the simplicity of Islamic funerals/burials, too. I never understood why funerals were such an expense to non-Muslims-the coffin, flowers, etc. Many can't even afford it and the funeral becomes a burden.

Candice said...

I'd like to save my parents some of the crazy expenses too... I wonder how an Islamic funeral here compares to a simple "regular" funeral.

Susanne said...

Sweet post. If you have a daughter, you should have a will. Even if it's just making your wishes known about who would care for her if you and your husband died together in an accident for instance. Morbid to think about, but since you were on the subject anyway.... :-)

I love the idea of a simple funeral as well. Sponsoring a child would be fantastic. Many people here have "in lieu of flowers donations can be made to _____" and they name some charity or fund for the deceased's children. I tend to like that better although I enjoy flowers. But when I'm dead I won't be around to enjoy them anyway! :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO