Monday, January 25, 2010

A plan for my future

I've been working at the same place for 2 years now, and it's fine, but I knew from the minute I applied it was not my career. Things in my life brought me to working full time before I had a chance to finish my studies, and I accept that. That's what it is to have responsabilities. It's not about me, it's about what needs to be done! But I still have goals and dreams beyond what my life is now. I'm talking career-wise right now only.

I've wanted to be a foster parent for a while, to help out a child. I don't think I'd want more than one because I don't want to take more than I can handle well. I want to be able to make this child feel as though he or she is part of the family, even if it's for a temporary time, and one sounds like plenty considering how difficult they can be because of what they had to go through.

Of course, this is not what I imagine as a career. It's a lot of work, but to me, it's not a job.

I managed to link this to a career I actually did consider back when I was looking at possible careers as a student. A SOCIAL WORKER! I think this is something I think I would do well, and something I'd be fulfilled doing. I care, but I am a pretty resilient person too, which I think is necessary because of how difficult the situation can be. I have mastered the "put it behind me until I need to deal with it again" technique.

I don't think I'd be able to start studying for another couple years... And it will take 3 years of studying to get the Bachelor's degree, but I feel great having a plan right now. I know which university, and I know what to do until application to make my chances good at being accepted in. I have to have some related experience, which I don't yet have, but if I become a foster parent within the next year, which I plan to, I think that would qualify as experience. And as soon as I feel better, I will call my local volunteer centre to put in a bit of time there each week. I don't have that much time off, but even a couple hours per weekend is a good start.

So even if I might go a totally different direction, it's nice to have something to work towards. :)

5 Comentários:

Stimulus said...

Great plan Candice, may Allah support you :)

However, just a note. Being a foster parent, although similar, but it could be quite different from a social worker. Social workers work with MANY, and most of them are strangers - yes you get to form a bond, but not for too long. As a foster parent your adopted child will become very close to you - this could sound sweet and comforting, but some might consider it difficult, as it is a "full time job" rather than the few hours spent as a social worker. Anyway, each has it's advantages and disadvantages. So my suggestion is, before completely deciding on social work, try it out for a few months and see how you go :)

Either way, I support you 100%! It's one of the greatest jobs ever ;)

Candice said...

Thanks for your support! :) You're right, they are different, but it will have been a related experience at least. I think that's when I will understand why they require related experience for application into the program!

Amber said...

I think Social Work is a great job, but be sure about it. As resilient as you may be, it's an insanely rough job, especially if you're working with abused children.

That being said, I think you'd be brilliant at it, and/or being a foster mom. :) So if that's what you want, go for it!

ellen557 said...

I think you'd be great at doing social work too. My mother runs a family support service and you remind me of her - a deep thinker, someone who helps others but also recognises that there will be difficulties. I know that my mum was a nurse for years before she decided to do a Masters in Social Work and went from there. That was her "calling", if that makes sense. So have faith in yourself and if that's where you want your life to go, head towards it. The volunteering sounds *great* (mum did it at a centre for phone counselling) and while they're both different, I do think that foster parenting would be a way for you to prepare yourself.

Candice said...

Thanks so much! :D

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO