Saturday, December 5, 2009

Obeying the laws of the country you're in

As Muslims, we should obey the laws of where we live, even if it's not a Muslim country.


At work during lunch, we were eating together watching the news and it came up that a little girl was not allowed to sing a Christmas song at school. I don't know the specifics (was she not allowed to just sing in the yard outside, in class, at a school show, etc.) but of course, in talking about it, it was all blamed on reasonable accomodation of immigrants, a big topic here. See a really old post (one of my first!) about it here. But the reason she was not allowed to sing this Christmas song had nothing to do with an immigrant complaining and trying to prevent her from singing. In fact, I think most immigrants accept that we are in Canada and that we celebrate Christmas. As a secular society, we try to make things as correct as possible, and I think that's why they cut Christmas out of schools. I think it's stupid to prevent her from singing when I'm sure it would have bothered no one. And I think we should be encouraging religious diversity instead of squashing all religions including the majority religion. Doesn't make things any easier for religious minorities who are blamed when it only has to do with us wanting to be secular. It's like bouncing in their face.... You want to be secular - you got it! But you have to stop being religious in schools too! - not just "them".

Anyway, during this discussion, it somehow came up that Muslims are trying to get their own tribunals to rule according to the Sharia here in Canada. She took it as Muslims wanting to go against our laws and I was saying that it is not Islamic to go against the laws of the country. On the contrary, they have to respect the laws. BUT it is nothing against the law to try to get extra rights. If you can legally get those, then where is the blame? Wouldn't anyone try to get extra rights if they could? If it's not accepted, then they have to accept that, and if it is accepted, then it's not the person's fault for asking... If it's unreasonable, it's the fault of the person who accepted! (and Quebeckers accepting unreasonable demands has been the problem making immigrants look demanding and unreasonable when they just asked and received)

The person just laughed when I said that in Islam you have to respect the laws of the country you're in. It was kind of insulting.

10 Comentários:

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

There are also people who have been in the country for generations and don't celebrate Christmas...people just like to place the blame on immigrants, and esp. immigrants who also happen to be Muslim.

Candice said...

Yep, they LOVE it. Even though we have immigrants from everywhere, it's always about the Muslim ones.

Anisah said...

Would a woman have more rights in an Islamic court during a divorce? I honestly don't think so.

Wouldn't she be limited to 3 months of support, and have to give up her kids if they were a certain age? Those are what I would object to, as well as have to give back her dowry if she is initiating the divorce even for a valid reason (abuse, abandonment, he got a 2nd wife, things like that).

In my view Western laws give women more rights than Islamic laws, they are very misogynistic IMO. I would not have used an Islamic court even when I was Muslim.

my 2 cents.

Anisah

KrystalKitty. said...

As a Christian I also have to obey the law of the land and follow rules and regulations even on the Internet.And as an immigrant I have changed to become an American,but there is still some of that Northern European still in me.I wonder about Andalusia,with two religions immersing,how do they function living together in peace and harmony?Does anyone know exactly what is going on there?Maybe we only want to see the cream on top.

LK said...

Maybe I missed it but why wasn't she allowed to sing? did the parents complain or did the school say "you can't sing this because you are not Christian"?

We use to do Christian and Jewish songs when I was in Catholic school. Once I moved to public, none of the christmas songs were religious, they were about Santa and Rudolph. I know its against school policy in the US for a public school do do anything religious in nature outside of allowing clubs. The school cannot show favoritism for a particular religion.

Jamilah said...

People want to blame everything on Muslims and Islam... its sad

Candice said...

Anisah, I didn't mean more rights by using the Sharia rather than our law. I just meant having the right to their own separate laws. Just this general right. No specifics on the laws of one vs the laws of the other in particular situations. That's really not what I meant.

KrystalKitty, I don't know anything about Andalusia... Might have to google that...

LK, we used to do some general Christmas stuff too. Not really religious. But it was Christmas still. I think the reason for her not singing is to keep it secular. No complaints or anything. And the Quebeckers (who want things secular when it comes to other religions doing their thing) are upset about it!

LK said...

Candice: No offense to Canada but that just seems weird lol

Candice said...

Hmm. I don't know what is weird... Where are you from? The US has been dealing with this type of thing since before we have (not having Christmas trees in stores and all that).

ZimimeXoxo said...

I agree :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO