Sunday, November 22, 2009

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

I ordered some books on amazon.ca a couple weeks ago, which included Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I got the boxset, which is both books: The Story of a Childhood and The Story of Return. I so totally loved them!!


Persepolis Book I is the story of an Iranian little girl (Marjane) during the revolution and afterwards under the Islamic regime and during war between Iraq and Iran. She comes from a liberal, well-off family so it is seen from that point of view. Book II starts with her departure from Iran to Austria where she lives for a few years before returning to Iran. The books taught me a little about Iran and its situation and made me interested to know more outside the story. It was also funny and clever. I have to admit that even though I'm here a francophone, I got the English translation. I am not French from France and I was afraid I would get too annoyed with the Frenchy style talk so I stuck to the safe side. I found the translation good, even though it's true that I didn't read the original :p

I really suck at book reviews... Never did one. Won't start now; I will just give my remarks.

As I said earlier, they are a liberal type of family. They aren't religious, even though I guess they are considered Muslim somehow. They are "westernized" and like to have parties with alcohol and hate having to wear the veil. In the first book, Marjane is a young girl and the story is of what she went through, so it's normal for religion and beliefs not to be very clear. I think that's why I liked the first one more... In the second one, it bugged me a little I guess that she was a teenager and young adult and didn't really have it figured out about Islam... Because of what she went through, it was as though Islam was what was forced on her in Iran. Islam was not part of the story so it's perfectly normal for it not to have come up that this regime is not Islam, but it just bugged me a bit that it felt like it was. Know what I mean?

It's a book (well BOTH, really!) I so totally recommend reading that I've tried to force it on numerous people around me. So far no one is really interested and I cannot see why! It's so good!

8 Comentários:

LK said...

I reviewed this book awhile ago, one of my favorites. Its amazing and the art is truly beautiful. Such an honest work.

Candice said...

It's after your review that I decided to buy it! No regrets at all, it's definitely a book I will want to read again.

caraboska said...

Super super super book! I've had it for several months now and read it probably the first night after I bought it :D Managed to get a paperback with both volumes in one on E-bay.

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

Loved the movie! I wrote a post about it & Iran a while ago...

Umm Ibrahim said...

I hate to bust everyones bubble but that story is a load of poo! Both my husband and I watched it and read it and were angry. First off thats not really how it was-for most Iranians, maybe in her mind thats how the Revolution was and maybe in her neighborhood of Tehran they all felt like that but you must remember that Iran is a huge diverse country and the majority of the Iranian population was religious and mnost women covered and most were seriously disillusioned with the Shah and his rush to modernize and westernize Iran...nevermind how much he hated Islam and religious people. A lot of Iranians were ready for a serious change.

It just irks me that people think books and stories like that are so truthful and talk about how it was and is in Iran for all Iranians. Plus...frankly, her family was and is not typically Iranian.

Candice said...

Don't worry, I definitely got that they were not an average Iranian family! It is obvious that the story was written from the point of view of a girl raised in a financially able family with liberal and secular views.

Even in the story, they do not appear to be the average Iranian family and I don't think anyone would have gotten that impression.

I can imagine some of it is not 100% what happened to her; it's a story afterall, but it must have a base of truth. This is her point of view and I don't think there's any reason to be angry that it was written or how it was written. Although I think I'd be annoyed too if something became so popular that gave people the wrong impression about something I care about. So I do understand where you're coming from.

Anonymous said...

I just came across this post and I'm wondering what Candice and Umm Ibrahim would consider as a typical Iranian...mmm..and just for the record the Shah did not hate Islam...it's the new so called 'Islamic' regime which is anything but Islamic.
Great post btw...I think i'll go buy a copy

Candice said...

Anon: I have no idea what a typical Iranian is like. I was just able to tell from the book that the main character and her family were not it. It was just obvious that they were of the liberals and had more money than the average. Umm Ibrahim would know though since she has lived there (might be from there... not fully sure). Check out her blog, she obviously loves Iran and knows Iran.

And yes, I would say it's definitely worth buying!

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO