Friday, August 14, 2009

Shared Shahada and me bugging my readers

I will probably be talking about my daughter, my husband, Egypt, the departure, the arrival, the trip, etc. for a bit. I also plan on having "regular" posts in there, but there are some things I just feel good getting out, I guess. It's hard for me to be without her. I'll try to make it obvious in the post title if it's something like that. If it gets extravagant, I will make code titles for readers to only read the interesting stuff. lol. Sorry for bugging you guys with this!

I wanted to mention something I found interesting about the departure. My husband told me before he was getting ready to say bye to me that when we got to saying bye, he wanted us to each say part of the shahada (one says "la ilaha ila allah" and the other continues "wa muhammadun rasool allah"). I'd never heard of that before, but it obviously meant something to him for us to say it together that way so we did that at the departure. It was kind of beautiful to share that together.

I'd heard him say to his mom over the phone some minutes earlier "muhamadun rasool allah" and I was thinking... Seriously, why would he just say that? Is he swearing on Muhammad or something like that? Shirk shirk shirk! But when he told me to say it with him I realized why he had only said this part with his mom. And I think it's quite beautiful. It's like uniting us in Islam.

Has anyone ever heard of this practice? Does anyone do this?

11 Comentários:

WhiteOrchid said...

interesting..I've never heard of this practice.

Skye said...

masha'allah,my bestfriend is egyption and the other day i heard her on the phone doing that,now i know what it means..thats beautiful

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I've never head of this before, but it sounds cool. I guess its a way of uniting yourself with another person, but also sharing the beliefs that you have in common.

NeverEver said...

I have friends from Saudi who do this, and I have one very close friend that I do it with as well.
It is really touching... :-D

Anisah said...

Salam alaykom. sis.. I am a bit confused... that IS the Shahada...

Ash hadu allaa ilaah ilallaah
Wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhuu wa rasuuluh
maybe he was telling his mother that you did shahada... but she corrected him telling him you need to say the second part.. would make sense he wanted to make sure you did it right together before leaving.. right?
forgive me If I am misunderstanding...

Anisah said...

I forgot to add.. that I feel it's very touching even if I misunderstood hehe.. Masha'allah.. when he comes back ....he will be practicing fully and May Allah bless you all :)

Aynur said...

I don't think I'd handle being apart from either one of my daughters for anything more than a few hours. :((

Jamilah said...

I'll see if I can find out what that is all about... hmmmm

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

Yes I know people who do this in Egypt - it is so that you will see each other again. I think it's a really nice custom and like you said, it's a nice moment to share with someone you are parting with.

Candice said...

Thanks for the explanation. I guess that makes some sense. Makes it even sweeter in some ways. My husband found it very important to say it. He was actually so sad to say goodbye even if it was just for a few weeks. He misses me easily.

Farah said...

My mum and I do this before we (each) leave for a trip. Another form of this is writing it and “cutting it” in half; (so) you leave the "la ilaha ila allah" somewhere safe in your house and carry the "wa muhammadun rasool allah" with you on your trip. Then when we get back we put both pieces together. I don’t know the exact reasoning but she says it’s a little extra “protection” so we get home safely or see that other person again (if you did it the way you and hubby did).

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO