Saturday, August 22, 2009

Salat and what goes through my head

I don't speak Arabic as a native language, but I have learned enough to do salat in Arabic. At first, I would pronounce the Arabic, but think the translation in English, and try to actually understand the meaning of what I was saying. It was hard. It's still hard.

I wanted to go over the thoughts that go through my head with each part of the prayer. What I feel the meaning is behind everythat I am saying and translating. I am trying to learn the individual words that are pronounced in the prayers as much as possible so that I can skip the translation altogether and focus on the Arabic and the meaning... This is not a translation in any way, just an idea of what I think about, which aspects I bring out and put focus on.

Al-fatiha:

bismillah ir-rahman ir-rahim - Along these lines: I do this and everything for Allah, merciful in all ways
alhamdulilahi rabb al-alameen - I think of being grateful and thanking Allah, at the same time thinking about His power
ir-rahman ir-rahim
(with all the power He has, we still blesses us with all his mercy, and we should praise Him for everything we're given)
maliki yawm id-deen - I think of how fair Allah is, and how He alone will judge us on this day
iyaka nabudu wa iyaka nastaeen - I think of how I need to seek help with Allah more than with others, but that all help will be from him regardless, and that I need to recognize that.
ihdin as-sirat al-mustaqeem - I picture a straight path, not too thick or thin, that is comfortable to walk on and think of how it symbolizes everything that is permissible and good that we need to be guided to doing.
Siraatal ladheena an 'amta' alaihim Ghairil maghduubi' alaihim waladaaleenAameen - This one is hard because it is one long piece so I think out the whole translation in English words and think of not wanting to fully and obviously go outside of what is permissible (earn wrath) and not wanting to go a different way by accepting an important, erronous concept (go astray)

subhana rabbi al-atheem - I think of how powerful He is. How capable of making anything happen, good or "bad" (wouldn't call it bad, but it can be a disaster for us sometimes and I have no other words), big or small. Often it's the image of something physical like a storm and something psychological like our temperament that goes through my mind.

subhana rabbi al-alaa - I think of purity and goodness, and how that can only be found completely in Allah and through Allah. And I also add a feeling that there is an authority over me.

2 Comentários:

umm qahtan said...

May Allah help you in lerning surahs & always keep you on the straight path.Ameen.

Welcome to Islam & pleasure to meet you via ur blogg. Ahlan wa sahlan.

Ramadhan Kareem.

Candice said...

Thank you for visiting! Someone read this post, I'm glad! :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO