Saturday, August 22, 2009

My first day fasting

I will start with the beginning. I went to a show yesterday night. It was supposed to be about an hour away and starting at 8:30pm. I figured it'll last 1h30min so I should be back home a bit after 11pm if everything goes well. WELL. Things did NOT go well and we couldn't have been more lost in the middle of nowhere. We got home at 2:30am! It took over 4 hours!!! I'm glad we took it with some humour... So much humour we were crying.

But anyway, I got home at nearly 3 am (having parked my car at my friend's apartment)... I was considering staying up until fajr prayer (around 4:30), but I would never have made it, so I put my alarm for 4am to snooze it once, get up and eat a little, and then pray, but I actually did not become conscious of life until 830am. I'd slept through my alarm and I was fasting now! GREAT! So I was in a bit of a bad mood, and so sad and lonely to be alone my first Ramadan, with no plans for the day... I was glad to see my daughter and husband on the webcam and went back to sleep. I think I woke up for good at 2:30pm...

I have to say I had a really really hard morning. I was ready to just go to Tim Horton's and order myself an ice cappuccino to make myself feel better I was so down. Instead, I slept, by my husband's suggestion. And I didn't break the fast. I got through it. I slept through fajr but I prayed dhur and asr. I feel much better and I am taking the feeling of hunger and weakness pretty well, I think. I really do feel so weak, it's not like me. My voice is weak when I try to talk and I feel I am missing part of my personality even. I don't like the feeling. But it's something I can tolerate and something I will hopefully learn a good lesson from.

11 Comentários:

Sarah Alaoui said...

Happy Ramadan!

.::Tuttie::. said...

RAMADAN MUBARAK!

I send you a hug. Don't stress it. You and I have the luxury to break our fast and we KNOW that inshaAllah when Maghrib comes we can break our fast. There will be food and all the drinks you can want. There are other people who don't have that luxury. They can't satisfy their hunger even if they wanted to because they don't have anything.

When I am fasting and I feel all the discomforts that come with it, I thank Allah swt that I don't have to go through that on a daily basis. It reminds me of how very lucky I am. Anyway this was meant to cheer you up. I hope it did. if not just type **(kick) in the rear** as a response.
wa salaam

Candice said...

True, we're definitely lucky :)

Stephanie said...

Salam Alaikum sister and Ramadan Mubarak. I was thinking about you today dear knowing it was your first ramadan. Sorry it didn't go too well but mashallah for hanging in there and not breaking the fast. You're story reminds me of my first Ramadan. Like you I was all by myself, my husband (then fiance) was back home for the month. I had just converted the week before. His family was pressuring him to stay there and marry a nice Palestinian girl. They were even bringing prospects in for him to meet! I was severly stressed to say the least. If it weren't for some very kind Muslims who took me under their wings I don't know what I would have done! I ended up having a beautuful Ramadan because I was able to see the benefits of fasting and the food and my coffee with cream and all the other things never tasted so good. Hang in there sis. It gets easier as the month goes along and each Ramadan will be easier as well, inshallah.

Becky said...

Ramadan Mubarak!

I just completed my first day of fasting too. At first I didn't think I would make it, my mouth was as dry as the Sahara desert and I felt soooo dizzy and could barely speak. But I started to feel better and found my body adjusting, alhamdulillah. I was astonished by Allah's creation, how extraordinary we really are as human beings alhamdulillah, all praise is to Allah.

I hope the rest of your Ramadan will be better, inshallah.

ellen557 said...

MashaAllah sis! Your first day is done, which usually means every other day after that will be easier. You know the feeling now and can beat it!
Just remember to eat suhoor, seriously. It does make a difference - but try to eat something that is sustaining. I ate a chocolate spread on toast for mine this morning = bad idea hahaha.
Anyway congratulations! I feel really happy reading this.

Jamilah said...

Mashallah!

I agree with Ellen, eating Suhoor really does the trick. I have oatmeal and it really stays with me. Also be sure to drink a bunch of water in the morning. If you wake up late for Fajr always just pray it right away too... Inshallah today's fast will go better.

hugs

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

Yay congrats on your first day of fasting =) I agree, suhour does make a difference. In Cairo I never used to eat suhour when I woke up for Fajr, because I was worried it would start up my metabolism and I'd wake up hungry, but here in Holland the fasting day is almost 17 hours, so I've been having suhour so I can get through it haha.

Good luck with the rest of the month!

Candice said...

It's nice to know others have gone through the same type of difficulties with fasting. I'm really not alone, and I should be glad for that. As well as glad to be able to fill myself up once fasting is done without any worries that I won't find food.

I didn't wake up for suhoor again tonight! I think there's something wrong with my alarm! I can't believe I wouldn't have heard it tonight! But I checked and it was on for 4:05am! So I think it wasn't even on the other night too when I thought I'd slept through it. Gah, that sucks. I really planned on eating something good! Oh well, I can do it!

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

Heyy I awarded you on my blog :) I thought I had tagged you when I first posted but I think I forgot cause I tagged a lot of people :S Sorry hun!

Amanda said...

Hey, I missed suhoor yesterday too! So, today I'm gonna be awake all night and sleep AFTER Fajr.. and then sleep again.. eventually I'll figure out what is best for me!
ramadan kareem!!

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO