Sunday, July 5, 2009

Vacation over! And need a book recommendation

Tonight is my last night of vacation! It was great to not have to go to work for a full week and just be able to relax a bit. It was really 4 days off from work because of Canada Day that was already a day off, but it gave me 9 days straight without having to think about the office and the clients and the iffy relationship I'm having with some co-workers lately.

I spent the first weekend really sick, but felt better Monday and had a nice time with my husband just at home. It was raining crazy all day so there was really no other option than staying inside. I relaxed a bit with my daughter Tuesday morning before bringing her to the sitter and then did errands all day. Wednesday was a full day at the zoo with a Muslim friend of mine (introduced to me by another friend and blogger Anisah from Anisah's Thoughts). I slept until noon on Thursday since I asked my husband to leave me one day to not have to wake up at 7am with my daughter and from Friday until today (Sunday) I went to my uncle's house in the Laurentians which is about 1.5-2h drive.

It's beautiful over there, but man, it's so middle-of-nowhere. I would not want to live there full time. Taking 15 minutes to drive to the convenience store, 20 to the groceries and pharmacy. My aunt drives 50 minutes to go to work. It's not my type of place, really. It's even less my husband's type of place, being from Cairo! But I think he enjoyed how green it is, how many lakes there are, the mountains too!

So, the book recommendation I need is for my uncle. He has a bit of a bad impression of Islam because of things he has read and the good Muslim people he hasn't met. He read this book called the Hajj that seems to have given him all sorts of negative ideas about Islam and me and my husband were telling him that he should read something that talks positively about Islam. He doesn't want to read just a book about Islam or about the Qur'an... He seems to need it to be a novel, or something with a story. I told him that it will be hard to find a real Islamic novel... And that if there was one, it would probably be kinda boring... Scholars have better things to write anyway. But that the other thing I could think about was a conversion story book. It would have information about how Islam has improved the person's life, and information about misconceptions about Islam, all that. Does anyone know of one that would be good for someone like my uncle to read???

11 Comentários:

ellen557 said...

Umm I don't know about a book with conversion stories, but there is one by an Australian journalist George Negus called "The World From Islam". It's quite interesting and it's in a conversational style. He interviews a lot of different people and it has some beautiful photos.

Jamilah said...

Hmmm, well there is one book called 'In the Footsteps of the Prophet' by Tariq Ramadan
http://www.amazon.ca/Footsteps-Prophet-Lessons-Life-Muhammad/dp/0195308808/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246849766&sr=8-2

Its written mainly for mainstream reading and can be found at any major bookstore.

the other one that I almost hesitate to recommend is 'No god but God' by Reza Aslan. http://www.amazon.ca/No-god-but-God-Evolution/dp/0812971892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246849915&sr=1-1

When I first read this book I was not muslim and found it very interesting. Now I that I look back I see that it has a very shia slant to it and some of the things are not quite right... BUT it helps explain the basics in a nice non muslim format. This can also be found in most mainstream bookstores.

Ldn.Hijabi said...

This seems like a good book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welcome-Islam-Converts-Lucy-Bushill-Matthews/dp/1847062164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246900619&sr=8-1

I've never read it, but have always been meaning to lol.

struggling said...

There is a great book by Reza Aslan called "No god but God" and another one by Karen Armstrong called Islam: a short history, she isn't Muslim and this might appeal to your uncle, but I love her writing she gives information without any unwanted bias

struggling said...

Oh whoops i see someone already reccomended Reza Aslan;s book...:P

Candice said...

Thanks Ldn Hijabi. It does look like the type of book I am looking for for him.

Struggling: Yes, it was mentionned, but it's a good sign that it was mentionned a second time! I think Karen Armstrong might be better for him since she's not Muslim, as you said! I will consider that one for sure.

Jamilah said...

Yes Karen Armstrong was once a nun and she has a good grasp of the basics and history of Islam...

Amber said...

Well, I'll second or third both Islam by Karen Armstrong and No God But God by Reza Aslan.

Armstrong's not a historian, but her writting style is very easy to read and she does rely on those who are historians. She also has a biography of Muhammed which I enjoyed, but I don't know how it compares to other biographies for accuracy.

All the convert story books I have focus on women, which I doubt would interest your uncle much.

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

I would also recommend Reza Aslan "No God but God" as well as anything by karen Armstrong, like "Islam: A Short Intro" or "Muhammad".

Laila said...

Candice, I'm reading a great book at the moment - remembered this post of yours and thought I'd let you know about it. It's "Struggling to Surrender" by Jeffrey Lang. He presents Islam beautifully from an American convert's perspective. I think it would be a great read for your uncle, or even for you too!
Sarah

Candice said...

Thanks, I favourited it on amazon.ca for the next time I order there. I just did last week though so it's not for right now, but I will come back to it for sure!

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO