Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I miss hearing the Adhan

I found this great page on Facebook called "I love Allah" and they had posted a video recently with the call to prayer. It's funny that I had not heard it in so long. I have heard it since Egypt, but only a handful of times probably. It's something I miss about being there... I didn't realize that at all until I played the video and heard the adhan. I don't know what it is about it, but it's a beautiful sound to hear.

As much as I think of Egypt when I hear the Adhan, let's be clear that it does not sound like that from the street. From inside with the windows closes, it sounds like a living howling wind, all the different adhans together with different timings. Slightly better from the street or with the windows open, but a bit distorted... Still though, it was beautiful.

7 Comentários:

struggling said...

I know what you mean, that is what I miss most about Syria. It's neat when all the mosques start the adan and it's not quite in sync :P

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

I think that's what I'll miss the most when I leave Egypt. I think the sound of the adaan is beautiful and I love going outside to listen to it.

khany said...

i also like these two adhan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDlNXIp9IU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoUXTFbYT_g

Sarah the Seeker said...

When I first visited Algeria the sound of the adhan was one of the things which really mellowed me towards Islam. I love the way it comes on the TV too! And I love how time is marked by the prayers.

That facebook page sounds interesting?

Candice said...

Welcome back, Khany! I will check those out.

Sarah: Yeah, the page is nice. They post Islamic thoughts in their nickname so it comes across in the feed and they post related articles and videos that day. They link to the downloadable books from a website I can't remember... Well now I have it there as a tab on that page so I have easier access. Anyway, you should check them out!

Nermine said...

Beautiful blogs you have sis. I too miss hearing the Athan so much. But inshaAllah this summer on my trip tp Egypt I will fill my heart and mind with the so many beautiful Calls to the Prayer.

~Nermine

Nazia said...

Assalamu Alaikum sister. You can download Adhan from www.athan.com & it will play 5 prayers during designated time from your laptop. I hope it'll help :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO