Thursday, April 30, 2009

Performing salat seated

I have been pretty ill for a couple days, and my daughter is even worse off than I am... I am all upside down about it, but we are going to see a doctor today after I get off work.

When I am ill like this, I have trouble standing up for more than a couple minutes (even then it is a lot of effort) and I have headaches and my skin is super-sensitive all over. As well, I have this awful throat ache that makes it hard to swollow. My daughter is only 2 so I don't know exactly what she is going through, but she is so weak... Not eating much and not trying to get up by herself... She had the flu last week but was getting better, and then after her 2 year appointment at the doctors, she started feeling like this. That's the same time I started to, too. I don't know what is wrong with that place! And it sucks that I have to go back to the same exact place today to get her checked out...

To get to the actual topic I was meaning to talk about though... Performing salat seated. I was thinking about how, if I were to pray, I *could* stay standing for the whole of it. I would be dizzy and it would be difficult, but I could do it if I really wanted. I think a lot of Muslims would probably want to do it as correctly as possible, and would want to stay standing if there was a way they could. Especially if this is a condition that is not making salat difficult for their entire life (like an old person) but making it difficult for the week or so they are ill.

But I was thinking about myself doing salat... And how it would be impossible to have the full connection with God when I need to put so much effort and concentration into staying standing.

I think most people might feel that the effor they are making to stay standing is for God, but I feel that the position a young person puts themselves in praying seated (people ask questions, wonder why a young person is praying seated, etc.) is something that he or she does and puts themselves through for a better connection with God. And I think that in this very specific situation, praying seated is the better option. I think that when you are sick to the degree that praying seated would help you concentrate and connect with God better, that is the moment to do it.

7 Comentários:

mawaddah said...

i agree with you. Islam is an easy religion. if one finds it hard to stand, then they have an alternative which is to seat but they cant choose not to pray as it is an obligatory. also, even if one still finds it difficult to sit, then they can lie down or use the eye sugnal. that is how simple and applicable Islam is. Islam always hav an easier options when we are bound with difficulties.

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

I remember a few months ago when I was really sick I prayed seated. I think it's fine, since then you can focus on the praying rather than staying upright.
Hope you get better soon!!

JaLpArI - tHe MeRmAiD said...

Assalam sister. . .
my mum too prays seated. . . And sometimes me too. . I have this problem of developing rashes due to the use of sanitary pads during my periods. . . And after that, i find it very difficult to stand and sit and stand during prayers. . . I prefer doin it seated that time. . . As otherwise my mind would be totally diverted.
im sure Allah understands :)
tc . .
allah hafiz

Umm Omar said...

Praying seated is not less correct than prayer while standing, when there is a need. I prayed sitting during the last trimester in both of my pregnancies and I didn't feel guilty about it in the least. Hope you and your daughter are feeling better.

Mrs.S said...

Religion is not meant to be a hardship. If you are ill you should sit while you pray. I haved prayed seated when I was ill, and I know many sisters who have sat until it was time to make ruku or even during the ruku. Allah knows your intentions and it is for him to decide whether or not you are sincere.

Stacy aka Fahiima said...

I went to the masjid a number of times when I was really pregant and the ladies would always bring a chair assuming that I would need to sit the entire time.

Candice said...

Thanks for your comments. I think I was under the wrong impression that people would force themselves to stand if they at all could but I'm glad to see most don't. Men probably do though, don't they?

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO