Saturday, March 21, 2009

Local Imam

I was just watching Little Mosque on the Prairie on Anisah's blog and it made me think about imams and their duties. One of them is to be there to advise people of the community; to offer spiritual guidance. And I was thinking about if I was Muslim... I would probably want to use this "service". The internet is good and everything, but it's not the same as a real person in front of you and it's not the same as a real conversation. Doesn't have the same impact, you know?

There is no local imam right now as far as I know. It's just some men in the community being there to keep the doors open and using a khutbah from another mosque and leading prayer. But they used to have one who was here for about a year. I liked him, he had an inviting smile and seemed really nice. When I crossed him on the street, we'd try to talk but he hardly knew any French, and I hardly know any Arabic so not much was said. Just how are you and that basic stuff.

If I were Muslim, I really think I'd feel the need to see the imam just for advice on how to deal with my husband, and hope my husband could do the same, in an effort to make things better between us. But... the language barrier! He spoke only Arabic! It really leaves out a lot of people. I went to a meeting at the mosque once, and a fundraiser for the mosque and a couple of aqiqahs and there are some converts among the Muslims here for sure. People who don't speak Arabic. Not only can they not understand the khutbah, they cannot easily get advice from their spiritual leader.

I understand budget restrictions and all that, and I'm sure if they could more easily get a bilingual imam, they would. If they could get an imam at all, I'm sure they would. But I was just thinking about how slightly disappointing it is for the people of the community.

Who is in this situation? How often do you speak to your imam? Do you see your local imam as the spiritual leader of your community?

5 Comentários:

Bengali Muslimah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bengali Muslimah said...

I wrote a post a few days ago about how I really want to and need to understand Arabic. As a Muslim, I learned to read it in order to read the Quran. But I want to understand it too because while i'm reading the Quran or reciting a surah, I want to speak to myself with it and understand it.

To answer your questions, the least I do is go to my high school's Muslim Club everyweek. I became the new Public Relations Officer. But I havent't really gotten to know any Imams or someone I would comfortable talking to about religious issues because personally, I don't have much experience with Islam (i hate to say this)

Aalya said...

I don't really have anyone like that - an Iman to go to to ask questions or seek guidance from. I can totally understand the need for it and sometimes think it would be very good to have someone like that. But then I also think that perhaps if that Iman has another view/or different opinions it may do more harm than good. When I was Catholic I would disagree with the priest a lot and I would never want to go to him for advice! I guess it really does depend on the person!

Candice said...

For sure it would need to be someone you trust... And no imam will be that for everyone, but I guess we can hope! The language barrier makes it *impossible* for him to be that for non-Arabs though, which is what sucked.

Anisah said...

In Brossard...it's in arabic and enlgish. Al hamdullilah. :)

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO