Monday, February 23, 2009

Reading the Qur'an

I read the Qur'an a little bit tonight. I really enjoyed it and I need to make it a daily thing. I mean, it's so much better than just doing random stuff online. Even if at times that stuff is Islam-related, it's never going to be as much benefit as reading the Qur'an itself. I will try to take notes on interesting things I read and post those ideas on here. Hopefully I will follow through and hopefully I will find something interesting to say.

Right now, all I want is to walk up to the next floor and make the kid stop stomping her feet!! She's driving me nuts! She has been making so much noise ever since I put my daughter to bed an hour ago (good timing) but luckily she's sleeping away. She's a pretty deep sleeper from bedtime until 2am or so when she normally wakes up for some reason. After that, it's so-so but at least the kid upstairs is not making noise at these hours.

Now, back to the Qur'an. One thing I was wondering about is the Night of Al-Qadr. I've read about it and everything, but why do they not translate it and they leave it as Night of al-Qadr? What does Qadr mean exactly? Obviously the translators leaving it like this means that they believe it's a title for this night, but I want to know the meaning of the word, in case it is made to describe a night (any night) and it is not just a title for one specific yearly night.

I will try to look it up tomorrow.

6 Comentários:

Jamilah said...

Qadr means destiny... The Qadr of Allah is the destiny that he creates for you.

Which translation do you read? Sometimes they can leave words in like that and it gets confusing. Try Saheeh International... http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=120&chapter=0

Candice said...

It's a translation I bought in Egypt... I really don't remember by who though... I might need to buy a better one because I don't like to read online much for extended periods of time.

Jamilah said...

Yeah I don't either. Check it out and see if you like it. Then you can search for the printed copy online.

It looks like thishttp://www.hudastore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_3&products_id=112

and you should be able to find a site or store in Canada that sells it...

Anisah said...

hiya :)
http://www.freequran.ca/
to get ur free Quran. I am soooo not looking forward to moving to an apartment :(just cause of the noise...

Candice said...

Thanks for that link. I "applied" and fully explained my situation in the comment box (the fact that I already have one but would benefit more from a better one).

muslim said...

some useful source related to Quran

http://www.tafsir.com/

http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display_all.php?chapter=1

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO