Friday, February 20, 2009

Madhabs

I don't know any specifics on the Islamic schools of thoughts and where they differ. And I don't know much about how they were formed and when they came about, although what I quickly read is that they were formed before the collection of the Hadiths were made (like the Bukhari collection). But that of course, rulings were altered as more information was made available by the scholars representing the school of thought.

I don't especially like the idea of a school of thought and following a particular one instead of another. The only use I see is to make your life more simple by not having to research individual topics you might have a question about. Just look up what your madhab thinks of it and go with that. It is obvious that no person can fully research every single thing that they encounter in life and that sometimes, they need to just rely on what someone says about the topic, but I don't feel like that needs to be based on a school of thought. It could just be the opinion of someone you trust. That person probably follows a school of thought, but you could easily go see someone who follows a different school of thought when you have another question. And then you'd be following one school for one topic and another school for another (indirectly). And I see nothing wrong with that!

I don't think that Islamic jurisprudence needs to be divided into these madhabs. I think it's another division in Islam, however small it is. I don't see why a person needs to label him/herself Hanafi, Maliki, etc. over something so tiny. Luckily, a big deal is not made over these, especially not here because of converts and how they normally don't follow one, and the immigrants being from all sorts of places that traditionally follow different madhabs. They are just Muslims together.

6 Comentários:

أم ترافيس said...

I dont follow a madhab and I dont really know where they differ either, but of course they do... as you mentioned, it was cause for a division long time ago, and even in Makkah the Kabbah was divided into 4 sections for the 4 madhabs. As well, the old musjids here are the same, they have 4 separate places for prayer. When you are searching for evidence on things, as long as it is in the Shariah, you are fine it doesnt matter who said what, except for personal preference I guess. Sometimes we find our beliefs tend to fall one way more than the other, and this is just a natural difference between the human being I guess.

May Allah guide, protect and unite the Ummah.

Anisah said...

hiya :) I feel like you do about the subject and I am really careful to not follow only one thing. I think ALlah gave us a brain and a push in right direction.. so I go with my gut... but Quran.is def. the first thing I follow..
Hadiths.. you must study when and who said it and why. Which is why Allah commanded us to read and learn. ;)

Adventurous Ammena said...

i thought this too.. but many things I have learnt in the deen have been from mainly the hanafi madhab and as for following quran and hadith, sometimes we need the input from a knowledgeable person who might just follow a certain madhab. I remember reading someone that naive ppl only believe they dont need to follow a madhab which I thought was quite nasty. Allahu alim

Candice said...

I have nothing against people getting most of their knowledge/interpretations from one particular madhab. But I don't think it's a good thing to just be set on following one of them. People should be open to the different interpretations and make their mind afterward.

Sonia said...

I agree with you! Why divide ourselves, when the point of Islam is supposed to be unity...Argh! One of the stupidest things that have happened to me was when I did my Islamic Finance group presentation and our professor asked us to profile at least 2 Shariah Scholars of Islamic finance, and she asked me to find out which madhab they belong to. OmG! That was insane, I had to sit there reading their papers trying to look for a clue of which madhab they belonged to. Up until 3 years ago I didn't even know that Muslims are so divided. Who cares! We are Muslims, thats all that should matter, not which scholar or which opinion you prefer.

Candice said...

It's really strange and eye-opening... that he would want to make sure you knew what divided these scholars when it was not even evident in any way.
Division in Islam is what makes me so discouraged most days and what makes me have trouble finding the truth in it all. I always hope to find unity, something I can belong to, but I only find division and often it's over small issues. I think that people should focus on what they have in common, sharing ideas about what they believe, but what I've seen very often among Muslims is that people don't want to accept that there could be another possibility. Once they have found what they believe to be the truth, doors are closed, no more information is coming in, no more thought will be put to the issue. And the person's conclusion is fact to them.
I get more irritated than I should when people talk about an issue and state is as a fact when it's simply what they (or the people they get their info from) personally believe. Is it so hard to use the words, "I believe..." or even "I strongly believe"? At least it lets the others know you are open to what they are saying, as much as you don't personally agree. Understanding is what will unite people.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO