Saturday, January 24, 2009

How I do my salat


I've been praying once a day on average lately. I don't do it exactly like other Muslims do it, but it is very similar. I don't believe that there is only one way to pray to God, but I find the Muslim way to be beautiful, and it's unifying that everyone does it practically the same way. Mine is slightly different, but I would be able to pray in a group with Muslims and not be doing anything different. I will describe how I do it here.

1) Intention to pray and number of units.
2) "Allahu Akbar" (hands raise to head and down)
3) Surat Al-Fatiha
4) I don't know any other parts of the Qur'an, so I leave it at that. I am hoping to learn Surat Al-Ikhlas soon. When I feel that I wasn't concentrating well enough on Surat Al-Fatiha, I repeat it.
5)"Allahu Akbar" and bend.
6)"Subhan ar-rabbi al-atheem" Not necessarily 3x. Just as many as I need, same with the translation. Sometimes translation in between. Sometimes all Arabic and all translation.
7) "Samia allahu liman hamida" as I go up. "Rabbena wa lak el hamd" when I am up.
8)"Allahu Akbar" then go down to prostrate.
9) "Subhan ar-rabbi al-alaa"
10) "Allahu akbar" as I go up and I ask in any way I want for forgiveness for my sins while I am sitting.
11) second prostration.
12) On the 2nd and last units, I say something to the effect of, "I believe there is no God but The God and that Muhammad was his messenger and prophet, to whom God gave the Qur'an for humanity fo guidance." I refuse to stop after "Muhammad was his messenger and prophet" because I feel it's too close to worship. And that the reason it's important to recognize Muhammad is because of the message he brought.
13) On the last unit, I say "assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah" to both sides.

I need to learn it all better and "tweak it". But at least I feel comfortable with this for the moment.

7 Comentários:

khany said...

perhaps you will be more comfortable reciting a fuller version of the shahada:

Ash-hadu Al-laaa Ilaaha Illa-llaahu Wahdahoo Laa Shareeka Lahoo Wa-Ash-hadu Anna Muhammadan 'Abduhoo Wa Rasooluhu.

I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger.

Candice said...

I'll keep that in mind. I didn't know there was a "fuller" shahada. :)

Sarah said...

About mentioning Muhammad in the prayer - I feel exactly the same way, and it's so nice to see someone else has thought this :) I often see calligraphy placards with Allah and Muhammad seemingly given the same weighting in the design, and it doesn't seem right to me.

Candice said...

Muslims often have "favourite hadiths" and I've seen the question posed on blogs about which hadiths they would want posted in their mosques, etc. Shouldn't they be asking which Qur'an verses?

أم ترافيس said...

In the shahada (and prayer) we recognize the Prophet Muhamad sallahu alayi wa sallam as the living example of the Quran... no where in the Quran for example is it mentioned simply "Obey Allah" no... Allah swt Himself has mentioned to "obey Allah and His messenger" and once mentioned, "obey Allah, his messenger and the rulers".

Anyhow, the point is: many people think they can follow tawheed (one God) and not give credit to the example of the Prophet, who was chosen by Allah to be someone we should follow

In the Quran, as well, it is mentioned we should pray and when but not HOW... so how do we know? Through the Sunnah. So when people are mentioning hadith, it is second to the Quran, but there are some things mentioned in it regarding specifics of behavior etc not mentioned in the Quran. And again, Allah HIMSELF mentioned to obey the Messenger.

As for the "fuller" shahada... uh, I dont know I think that is duaa (prayer) what Khany mentioned. As long as we mention the two parts (There is no God but Allah) and (Muhammad is His Messenger) I believe this is correct. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it is confusing to call it a fuller Shahada, Allahu alim.

Candice said...

Thank you for visiting my blog, Umm Travis, and for your great explanations.

Since I started learning about Islam, I've been brought on a lot of roads. I'm trying to find the best and true "road" (path). I feel like I don't belong anywhere in Islam based on what I believe. I mean, no specific group like the Sunnis, Sufis, 19ers, or even the vaste group of Qur'an Aloners match what I believe
.
I can't help but feel that way too much importance is put on the Hadiths by many Muslims when they are not officially "truth" and divinely kept like the Qur'an is, but at the same time, they are important for sure and I feel they have their place in Islam, not only in tradition, but in a more important way. I'm still trying to situate myself about that.

About the shahada, I'd still rather add the part about the Qur'an since that's why the messenger was brought to humanity. To deliver the message (Qur'an).

Jamilah said...

Asalamu Alaikum Sister

Just keep learning and reading and it will come to you. I was confused when I first reverted and had a lot of the same thoughts you do.

As for Hadith, the best thing that I can tell you to do is to do a quick study on how the hadith are compiled... its amazing how complex the process is.

I am looking forward to reading more of your ideas

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO