Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Beard



There was a post on one blog about men having a beard. I didn't post in the comments just because I don't have my ideas fully figured out about such specific Islamic things. I'd have trouble debating because I'm not the most informed. But I really wanted to discuss it here, with myself (and anyone who might happen to read this...).

I am not against Ahadiths, but I am not about to accept them as inspired by God and put them beside the Qur'an. Never. They are man-collected and surely contain errors. And the other issue about them is that anything mentioned in Ahadith (or the sunnah of the Prophet) is taken as Islamic LAW. I will NEVER make law, what God has not made law. And I believe that the beard is one thing that is fine to have, but fine not to have, and will make absolutely no difference in the eyes of God. And that if you have a beard and believe it to be necessary because the Prophet had a beard, it becomes bid'a and idol worship.

The way I understand it, beards were recommended in the Prophet's day, not because it was a commandment from God to wear one, but because it is a good thing to distinguish oneself from the "disbelievers/unbeleivers". And that is a strong reason for which I am strongly favourable to hijab, having not yet made a full decision on whether or not I think it is required (although there actually IS evidence stating that it is unlike the beard).

This is a pretty strong opinion I have of this practice of having a beard for religious reasons, but it's really the way I feel as of now. I will post if I learn more things and change my mind. I'm here to be honest with myself and with everyone. I will not stick to my point if I feel my arguments have fallen.

4 Comentários:

khany said...

peace Candice,

insha allah, the following short articles might be of benefit to you. they were to me. the first two articles discuss (with significant overlap between them) whether and which prophetic traditions are binding. the last two articles discuss balancing the textual law with its purposes.

the traditions of the prophet
types of traditions
purposes of islamic law 1
purposes of islamic law 2

Candice said...

It's good to know at least some Muslims see that there are things that Muhammad said that were from himself as a man and not from God. I don't think most Muslim really see any difference... Or want to think/believe that some things about Muhammad were purely human and not divinely inspired.

khany said...

in fact this is the position of all significant schools of islamic jurisprudence (the 4 sunni schools and i think also the shi'i school). while a lay muslim, who does not educate himself about his religion, may be ignorant of this fact there is no scholar who does not differentiate between the actions of the prophet (peace be upon him).

over the centuries the islamic orthodoxy (the traditional schools of jurisprudence, for example) have come to assert their interpretation (about which actions are divinely guided) as being non-negotiable. actually that statement is unfair. what they argue, in fact, is that their methodology of interpretation (not the interpretation itself) is the correct methodology.

you might also benefit from the following discussion on the question of who speaks for islam. it presents arguments both for and against traditionalism.

Candice said...

I will need to check that out... My computer here at work does not allow me to. I will make sure to check at home when I have the chance. I enjoy what Irshad Manji has to say in general although I don't fully agree with her on a lot of topics. I can only imagine I sit somewhere between both views.

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO