Monday, December 15, 2008

Introduction

This blog will basically be about my ideas on life as I journey towards truth. I will basically be exploring my beliefs within an Islamic frame. Or exploring my beliefs with comparison to the Islamic beliefs where/if needed.

I am not Muslim. I have been interested in the religion for some time, however, and I'm pretty familiar with it and its people and their beliefs (in general). I don't know much about Shia or Sufi, or about the schools of thoughts and how they came to be. I will hopefully learn more with time. No one knows everything, they can just hope to learn more.

Now back to my situation with Islam. I have been learning about it for quite some time. Met a Muslim online and it got me curious to see how dedicated he was to his religion. I spent a lot of time in my childhood thinking about religion and what it all meant. I was only exposed to the Catholic religion, and not to anyone particularily serious about practicing it, so it left me feeling lost. If it's the truth, why are we not following it better? If it's not the truth, why are we supposed to believe that it is? If there are other alternatives, why hasn't everyone learned about them and why don't I know about them? So when I met this Muslim online, I was given a chance to learn about an alternative: Islam. We didn't talk about religion much, but I knew he felt strongly about his religion and so I set out to learn about it by reading various books and websites.

From the very beginning of the journey, I felt... like, *wow*, this is all so simple! I didn't have all the questions about Islam that I did about Christianity. It was really was just simple. Follow the Qur'an, an unchanged book, and follow the example of the prophet who brought this Qur'an, as documented very carefully and methodically. So all I had left was to figure out if I really felt that the Qur'an was from God. If so, I had no other choice but to follow it in its entirety just like my friend did. If not, then I was back to just learning about it to better understand my friend. I continued to learn, and have continued to learn since then, about 3 years ago. I have gotten married to a Muslim since then. I still have not converted.

The road to truth is a lot less simple than it seems and that's what I'll be exploring in this blog. I'll go over the questions I asked myself and conclusions I made... Or haven't yet made. It'll be about my thought-process while I try to find God.

3 Comentários:

Mohamed Ahmed said...

I am inspired by your blog. I am also on a journey to find the truth within an Islamic perspective, but I was born a Muslim.

I feel that my view of Islam, is rather similar to that of yours. I see God as more loving and merciful, rather than anxious to punish the sinners.

I strongly believe there is a lot of hypcricy going on in Islam today.

In my search for the truth, I hope to find how muslims really should treat non-muslims.

In summary, I just want to take the opportunity to wish you all the best in life. Just remember as long as you try to be the best you can be, you will be fine. Not only is God just, he is also the most Merciful.

Candice said...

Thank you! :)

Fahad said...

The road to 'destination' is as not simple as we think. You are true, we have to suffer, suffocate and abide.
You married the same man with whom you met online??

Exploring Life and Islam © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO